Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Recommended torque when fastening bolts

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Strooom, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Strooom

Strooom New
    Builder

2. A J

A J New
    Builder

I did some analysis on the wheels and although the bold can take 4 N-m because of the axial load you don't want to go over 0.4-0.5N-m.

Haven't thought of the profiles torque yet but with the proper nut you should be able to go to 4N-m without problem

-Augusto

3. joe.carson

Builder

Hi Augusto,

What axial load are you assuming to get those low torque levels?
    I found a nice online Bolt Torque Calculator that enables to take axial load into account:
    http://www.futek.com/boltcalc.aspx?mode=metric

I tried different values and I hardly get under a recommended torque of 2Nm for M5 Bolts.

Regards
    Joe

4. A J

A J New
    Builder

Sorry , should've been more clear. The bolt can take 4 Nm. It is designed for it.

The bearing on the wheels are the problem. If you do some calculations at 4Nm the bearings won't last an hour of operation. I kept playing with torque until I got couple of thousand hours of life. And that value was 0.4 Nm.

Sorry for the confusion. Is not the bolt, it is the bearings the limiting factor.

5. Donald D. Parker

Builder

As long as you have the proper spacer between the bearings that only puts pressure on the inner race you should be able to use the recommended bolt torque. If these were axial load bearings then you would have to consider torque in relation to the bearings, these are mainly radial load bearings.

6. A J

A J New
    Builder

Don thanks for pointing out where the load is being applied. You are correct. You are not applying preload this way.

You should be able to load them up to 4Nm without issues. Darn free body diagrams. Lol

#6 A J, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015