Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Recap of controller and remote access

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by JFAirplane, Mar 23, 2016.

1. JFAirplane

Builder

Hi

Here is my find about the control of any cnc, as mainly how to get rid of a pc.

The solution so far available are : Mach3 software, Linuxcnc software, Chillipr and grbl soft.

GRBL look to control only 3 stepper with 3 single controller. I would like 4 stepper, as 2 nema23 on the Y axis.

On the controller itself, all Gecko540, mx6600 and bobcad at 15$ are all related to parallel port. So you need a pc right across the cnc mostly all time.
    I note for over 8 source, the TB5540 will drop dead and will cause issues. For the price of 2 pcb and waste of material and drill bit, I skip this one. And so so functionallity on the cnc xPro Controller, skip too. And the best so far with high voltage is the Leadshine series.

Or possibility: put a arduino nano or mega with the wifi or best ethernet and then control and push the g-code via a web app.
    I need to investigate if we can run the soft over the new small android HDMI key or small win10 hdmi key. The soft will run, but will it cause any issues.

The other used could be a RasberryPi running an hdmi screen. So just put g-code in it and it works. I can work with web access to their : Chillipeppr, but it's supposed to be possible to also run locally with a small screen ?
    Raspberry Pi CNC Board / Hat | Protoneer.co.nz

For the remote access, running via ethernet : so far you have the Smoothstepper ESS, the UCC4.0 and UCC3 that look to be running over a dedicated software.
    And for user of linuxCnc, there's the Mesa ethernet board. All those 3 are about 190$ So you control from remote access:

Remote possibility, via ethernet cable (never control via wifi) as :

-ServerPc upstair, connected over wired network running Virtualmachine
    -CNC in workshop
    :
    Access via RDP, Horizon View or vnc.

via :
    1- Tablet wired with ethernet cable * those tablet are not usually available at Staples store, but they do exist. And a bit more reliable than using an usb to eth adapter.
    2- RasberryPi with hdmi touchscreen

On all this, I might be tempted to go with a smoothstepper and Mach3. Running a small computer of 160$ like a Pipo X9 could be quite perfect and with a 15$ rs-485 adapter you are in business to run any Gekco540 or mx6600. LinuxCNc can run over small hdmi stick, as being a linux based system, but I haven't figured if they are reliable..

I you can pinpoint other possibility, feel free. And over the grbl or tinyG, I haven't dig more as the limitation of only 3 stepper. Let me know.

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

My GRBL shield runs 4 stepper drivers. I chose the DRV8825s. I slaved the 4th to the y (long) axis running 2 Nema 23s.

3. JFAirplane

Builder

I agree over smaller motor that could be done, but I plan on over 425 and perhaps 2x 560oz. So the drv will not be possible. But, running 2x single board in parallel, i'm not sure if that can do the same...