Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Rawcnc 1.5 Desktop Edition

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by roadss, Oct 22, 2017.

1. roadss

roadss Well-Known
    Builder

roadss published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. bowbow

bowbow New
    Builder

I think that this unique rail system can be exchanged to linear rail of openbuilds.
    Since openbulids linear rail is made of 6061 t6 alumium it' very strong like sus rail.

3. roadss

roadss Well-Known
    Builder

You mean the OpenRails?

Yes, I guess you could, but I don't see why. If you wanted to stay strictly with Openbuilds parts I would just use the V-slot extrusions, they obviously work well for ALOT of people.

The shaft clamps used in this build does seem rare in the diy cnc world, atleast I havn't seen them used on any other machine, but they're not unique per se.

They are made by a manufacturer called Item which I believe is a global company so they should be available pretty much everywhere and they work with any aluminum extrusion with a 5 mm groove (so, sadly, they don't work with Openbuilds extrusions which has wider grooves)

The shafts that goes in the clamps could be any Ø 6 mm shaft you wanted to use so it's a pretty universal part.

I payed ~ €5 / 1000 mm for the clamps and the shafts I bought are precision ground steel shafts hardened to HRC 60 and they were ~ €7 per 1000 mm, so it's not very expensive and you can get away even cheaper if you wanted to by buying cheaper shafts, they are available in aluminum also for example.

4. bowbow

bowbow New
    Builder

Yes. I think this 6mm shaft rail is also wonderful.
    However, in the place where I live, this shaft rail system becomes very expensive. I think that this shaft rail system is the product of item company. Probably, this company is a European company.
    In the country where I live, I can buy it through agency, but it will be extremely expensive. There is not aluminum extrusion of 5 mm groove slot in other conpany's model. Importing openbuilds' linear rails is quite cheap.
    It's just that. I think this is a good machine. I am happy that raw cnc will also sell plates kit beyond Europe.
    Currently, it is only sold in the EU.

5. roadss

roadss Well-Known
    Builder

I read a tip on Rawcnc's website that you can actually omit the shaft clamps and instead glue the shafts to the grooves in the profiles with great results.

Normally I don't really like messing around with glue and stuff because I have this obsession about tidiness, "engineering solutions" and being able to disassemble things, but I think that sounds interesting and it's something I will want to try in the future because you can then use pretty much any aluminum profile, including Openrails C-beam and I can definitely think of cool things to do with that!

You would of course need larger diameter shafts for the wide Openbuilds grooves, but that's not a problem.

Should probably finish this machine first though huh :).

I have some things on order and one package already waiting at the post office. I'm hoping it will all arrive today or tomorrow so I can work on the machine this weekend!

6. Making Chips

Making Chips Well-Known
    Builder

Thank you for posting. I like the design. Do you have information about US sources for the unique Item shaft clamp, 20x80 extrusion with 5 mm slots? Did you purchase directly from Item? Were there any unique issues importing plates from Raw CNC? Thanks!

7. roadss

roadss Well-Known
    Builder

Hi!

I'm not in the US, but my plates has actually been over there and back :)

Long story short: The plates were originally sold to a friend of mine in the US, but he wasn't able to finish the machine because life got in the way so he then sold it to me.

As far as I know there were no issues importing the plates, and he also imported the shaft clamps together with the plates. Those can be spliced with no issues whatsoever so you can order them in shorter lengths if you plan to build a large machine, to keep shipping costs down.

I don't know where he ended up buying the extrusions, I'll ask him.

8. roadss

roadss Well-Known
    Builder

Alrighty, got a reply now and he said he never got around to buying the extrusions but that a company called "AluFab Inc" has Item compatible extrusions.

9. JayMcD

JayMcD New
    Builder

This is an amazing looking build. Can you share teh approximate cost of building this ?

10. roadss

roadss Well-Known
    Builder

Hi, thanks!

I havn't really been keeping track, I bought from many different sources and had some bits and pieces already but I would say roughly ~ €700 as it sits right now without electronics.

Plates: €280
    Screws, nuts, washers etc: €60
    Aluminium profiles, hardware, bearings etc: ~ €350

You can get away cheaper then that if you shop around and look for deals on eBay etc, and I noticed Rawcnc lowered the price on the plates now also.

Just let me know if you have any more questions