Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Question on setting up limit switches

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by pitzerwm, Sep 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pitzerwm

pitzerwm Well-Known
    Builder

I have a openbuild machine and the builder didn't add the limit switches. I've watched a video on this and have a couple of questions.

To get the GRBL to know that the switches are installed, and react correctly when hitting one, do you JUST change $21 to 1, or are there other steps?

Once the switches are installed and GRBL knows that they are there, does the home feature automatically work?

I'm using Bcnc with a Raspberry Pi3.

Any direction would be appreciated.

2. pitzerwm

pitzerwm Well-Known
    Builder

I am surprised that there wasn't any help on this thread, but I'll post what I have ended up with. I placed switches at each axis extreme, wired with the NO contacts in parallel to the controller. You need to make $21=1, $22=1, $26= 250, $27=5.0, $24= your machine's safe speed.

When you test the home cycle, take out your router, if working correctly, the machine will rise to the Z limit first, then the Y limit and then the X limit. It will hit the limit switch back off a bit, re hit the switch slowly, then back off the amount in $27. It will be at the rear right part of your machine.

3. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Builder

Thanks for the info. I hadn't got around to hooking mine up yet because I haven't finished building the bench that the machine will be permanently mounted to (with the controllers and power supply below and inside) so I do not know how long to cut my wires yet. I need to do it soon, though. Every once in a while when I type G0 X200, I accidentally add an extra zero. :banghead: Luckily I have installed my emergency off button.:rolleyes: