Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Question on Openbuild control.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Rod13, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Rod13

Rod13 New
    Builder

Hi y'all
    Today I was carving out a sign using Vectric VCarve. This is a stack text sign, I notice it did not completed the carve as it look on the 3d viewer, the H and T was not carve out.. See pictures 1(3d viewer) and 2 (as the finished product). Not sure what happen. Did see a lot of air travel while it was carving. Not sure if it was the gcode or openbuilds.
    See attachment.
    Rod open builds control.PNG Carve.jpg

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Can't be us :) all we do is send your gcode along to Grbl.
    We NEVER modify, or change, or interfere with the Job, its sent line-by-line exactly as the gcode file is.

Post the files,Vectric Project, and the resultant GCODE both (so we can check the toolpaths)

Make sure you were using a Grbl compatible Post. docs:software:vectric [OpenBuilds Documentation]

3. Rod13

Rod13 New
    Builder

Sorry,the reason I said openbuilds, I mention grbl. Maybe the gcode got messed up in the process. I was running it from my thump drive.
    But here is the zipped version of the code. This is the file I use in Vcarve. I am going to try to run it again., just to see what happens.
    Thanks
    Rod

Attached Files:

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Do export the toolpaths again, making sure your tool will actually fit in the gap between the letters (scale up piece, or smaller endmill) - the CAM in Vectric won't send the tool in where there is no space for it

5. Rod13

Rod13 New
    Builder

I'm using three different tools for that. It was one of Vectric video that they did. But will try again, as it worked before.
    Thank for the help.
    Rod

6. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

grbl and OB control doesnt support tool changes. So unless you loaded a new program for the new tool when you changed out the tool, it wont work. In other words, you'll need 3 programs to cut that out.

7. Rod13

Rod13 New
    Builder

Got it. I did it the second try and came out great. It was a bad grbl, the first time. I had three separate files, one for each bit.
    Thanks for the replys
    Rod

Giarc and sharmstr like this.