Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Question about NEMA Enclosures & Junction Boxes.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by jda70az, Jan 22, 2021.

1. jda70az

jda70az Well-Known
    Builder

Hi

Is it alright to put a Black Box and power supply in one of those plastic Junction Boxes?
    The reason I ask is I am a little worried about heat and air flow. I've seen DIY CNC stuff
    these guys are using these boxes but I didn't really know what they were exactly.
    I don't like my electronics out in the open. Also what about these NEMA Enclosures?
    Are they better than a regular Junction box?

https://www.amazon.com/Altelix-Encl...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QSE9ZC8JPSA5NPETMDVV

2. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

Both BlackBox and power supply have fans for cooling so enclosures have to have vents.

Peter Van Der Walt and jda70az like this.
  3. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

What Jeff said is right. You can buy that enclosure, or any other that you like, and just drill a few holes into it. 1/4" holes or even 3/16 will by fine.

4. jda70az

jda70az Well-Known
    Builder

So you only need holes? I was thinking about adding a Fan like a computer fan but if I don't really need to that'd be great.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If you got a bit of extra extrusion and some plex consider building your own self drafting box.

Enclosure.jpg

Peter Van Der Walt and Giarc like this.
  6. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I found a metal one at a store that sells used scientific and electronic equipment. I cut a hole in it and put a fan and lights inside. I also knocked out a few of the "knock-outs" on the bottom for air to get pulled in.
    upload_2021-1-23_19-16-35.png
    DSC_0438 (2).JPG

Peter Van Der Walt and jda70az like this.
  7. jda70az

jda70az Well-Known
    Builder

Hey how'd you get power to the fan?

8. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

The fan is in the units themselves. Having a fan in the box will not contribute much. If you make some holes in the top and bottom convection will do the heat exchange, in the box, for you.

Having said that, a fan in the box will not hurt, for sure, except for the extra noise. :)

9. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I used one of the 24v power plugs. I have to admit, I cheated and that is why there are lights. I only had a 12V fan, so I calculated out how many LEDs on the strip would draw 12V and wired it in series with the fan. The lights use 11.97 volts and the fan gets the rest.
    Although it does contribute to the overall decibels, I do not hear it over the cutter. My fear was having both the power supply and Blackbox in a metal enclosure without a lot of ventilation. I am not too worried about the noise level because it is on my lathe which is used for carving, so each tool path is at minimum an hour. I just start it and head back in the house and come back out when I hear the router shut off.