Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Pros & Cons between OpenRail-Linear Rail or just V-Slot

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Allan-Denmark, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Allan-Denmark

Builder

I am gong to renovate my CNC Machine, since I do not feel it is solid enough, I am going to add more wheels to the X-Axis gantry, but I also think of adding the Linear Rail and use the Delrin V Wheel running on the Linear Rail instead of the Solid V Wheel running in the V-Slot of the profile.
    Please will someone elaborate on the difference and Pros & Cons !?
    I am looking for max accuracy, and heavy load.
    Also please share your ideas ?
    I am quite new to using Forums, have mostly just worked on my own, so sorry if I am not doing this right :)

2. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Journeyman
    Builder

The big advantage of using V-Slot is that there are no protrusions from any side and the whole system is simpler. Since there are no protrusions, it is easy to have a single rail that spans an interval and is held on any side at the ends (or all sides). If you wanted to do something similar with OpenRail, you'd have to cut the OpenRail shorter than the rest. It is simpler because there are fewer parts, so fewer things that can go wrong and few things that can be inadequately tightened and might slip.

The advantage of OpenRail is that it is hard anodized and can be used with the metal V-Wheels. Since much of the flex of any CNC router is going to come from the plastic wheels, being able to use metal wheels might be useful if you were planning on a super-rugged build. The softer material of V-Slot will be worn down and rutted by the metal V-Wheels if you try to use it instead.

-D

3. Allan-Denmark

Builder

Thanks Jonathon, I am not so much worried to cut the Rail, or complexity. It is not a problem it is hard, only make it more challenging to build :)
    You are right and I would never use the metal wheel on the V-Slot for the same reason you mention. Also on the Linear Rail I would also use the Delrin V Wheel.
    What about the load for the 2 systems ? my Z-axis mechanics weigh about 12 kg I have quit a large travel 500 mm because I eventually like to extend with 2 more axis here and a tool-changer (I am not sure yet about the Y-Axis maybe around the same weight, maybe less) So the load could be around 20-25 Kg on the Rail or V-Slot.
    I will be cutting/milling mostly wood but definitely also aluminum and if possible smaller parts in steel :)
    The size of the xy is 1500mmx1000mm
    :) Allan