Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Proposal: Lock "OpenBuilds OX CNC Machine " to replies

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by DiggerJ, Oct 8, 2014.

1. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

Hey guys, let the group know what you think about this idea:
    I suggest we close the original OX build forum to new comments and/or replies.
    Reasons:

1. Probably half or better of the thread is NOT about THE original OX build, but about an OX build, or some general build question, And many are comments about earlier comments ha may or may not be about a build in general, but more like a sub-topic of a build.

2. We are now 54+ pages and we regularly tell newcomers to read that thread. There are already several on here who have commented that it is taking them days o read, or that they will not read it all because of the size.

3. It hampers the ability to search for info on the forum.

4. It makes it harder for people to remember where they found something when looking for it again.

5. Redundancy. The same info may be found in various places, under topics only barely relating to the current subject.

This whole forum is a great resource over all, and as it grows it will be a shame if it gets so cluttered that it proves to be less useful.

2. Steve123

Steve123 New
    Builder

I agree.... I found myself using google to search the OX forum.

3. bobt

bobt Well-Known
    Builder

I agree with your proposal but I would like to see the thread split into those items that directly deal with the OX and everything else put into a separate thread labeled "comments on OX thread". Thus distilling the knowledge on the ox to the strait thread of information and then somewhere else with derived data. I just love using the distilling method but I still don't drink.

Bob

4. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

Unless the software sucks, an admin should be able to lock, delete, or move entries. All of the ones that I have dealt with had that ability.

As far as splitting it up, I totally agree, but I proposed locking the thread down as a first step. Better to eat an elephant one bite at a time. Next proposal was to be let the group decide on what to do with the important bits removed from the original thread. I would be ok with them in other threads, FRAQ, Wiki, or whatever is decided.

My main concerns are that the thread is being reduced in relevancy, hard to search, and daunting for possible new builders.

5. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Hi Guys,

I agree and also with starting a new topic 'Comments on OX thread'. Unfortunately it is a job for Mark ( as if he hasn't got enough to do already :) ).
    As said, only the OP can lock the thread or move entries to another thread so it is not something I can do, sorry.

Tweakie.

6. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I concur with Tweakie. :thumbsup:

I said this weeks ago, because I felt, and found, it was getting out of hand, as far as useful information, getting buried deeper and deeper! :banghead:
    But it just keeps getting bigger and longer everyday! :cry:

Mark, Mark, Mark, Mark, Mark.

Please stop the runaway thread!! :D

Cheers
    Gray

Jestah likes this.