Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Programming a stepper motor

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Walber Soto, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Walber Soto

Builder

Hi folks! I have a stepper motor, NEMA 23 high torque, also a Arduino Mega and stepper driver DM556. I need to program that motor to move a linear actuator C-Beam® XLarge Linear Actuator Bundle 250 cm length, displacing the bench less tan 0.001 mm (since the pitch is 8 mm, i'm using the 25000 divisions using the stepper controller, which gives me 0.00032 mm for each step).
    I need to move the actuator through the Wi-Fi, I have a Geekcreit® NodeMcu Lua WIFI Internet Things Development Board Based ESP8266 CP2102 Wireless Module to communicate.
    To sumarize, what I need to do is to program this system to move only 1 step (8 mm / 25000) each time I press a button in my cellphone screen. If it is necesary for you, this is the code and the app I'll be using to move the motor:
    NodeMCU_Car - Google Drive
    Wifi Car - Google Drive

I need help with this! can anybody help me?

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Not quite sure what you need help with. The system would be, within the Arduino, "when I receive this byte command over serial, pulse pin X one time for X milliseconds". I'm not familiar with the bluetooth module, but you'd just set up the phone to send a particular byte character or sequence over bluetooth when you press the button (if button pressed, send BTserial start bit, control byte, data byte, end bit- or whatever) and then the Arduino can look for that on the serial bus from the BT module, and actuate the pulse pin when it sees it.

Bear in mind, you're wildly unlikely to get a micron of either precision or accuracy from V-Slot and leadscrew, even if the numbers theoretically work out. For that level of precision, you need precision ground ballscrews, linear rail, and reduction gearbox (to even out the stepper's variability), which even for 250mm would probably be in at least the $500 region on eBay. You'd also need to thermally stabilize it, because minor room temperature fluctuations and imperceptible breezes will move metal more than a micron.