Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Process Question

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Cornerspace, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Cornerspace

Builder

I am just starting to try out the Cbeam proper. I have a few nagging questions keeping me awake.
    For different milling actions to take place, each of these actions have to be defined by their own set of gcodes. From this, is it safe to infer that I need to save the project as separate files so as to have the control over the different cut definitions?

Example: (Using Sketchup and SketchUCam)
    A router adapter sleeve with a slot (Sleeve.skp)

Step 1: Draw circle, create offset for inner diameter, create a line and apply centerline function to line to create slot. (Save as line.cnc) - Using a 2.5mm Endmill

Step 2: Apply the outside cut definition to the outer ring and an inside cut definition to the inner ring (Save as circle.cnc) - Using a 4mm Endmill

Step 3: Using Openbuild Control, execute the different gcodes in sequence and finish the complete part.

As far as I can deduce, that is the way to have the ability to choose different endmill sizes for different operations. Or is there another alternative that is integrated? I am going for the budget approach, not ready to plonk down wads of cash for a dedicated software solution yet.

I have been executing simple cuts and pocketing test but when the job that's more complicated, I get bogged down by how much an actual cnc job is defined by the prep work required in the CAD stage.

Thanks

2. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Do you really need to use different diameter endmills on that job - would make it simpler if you stuck with the one bit? Part of my planning is to keep endmill changes to a minimum to achieve minimum disruption of job. And yes, there is plenty of planning usually but it gets easier as one gains experience.

3. Cornerspace

Builder

Well, I agree with you on that. Even if I stick to a single mill. From my observation of SketchUCam. The limitations are that you need a separate Gcode line for each operation. That said not familiar with GCode yet to do it by script.

The reason I see it is by making each step a discrete stage, I run into less issues of errors and sequencing. If I within a single project implement all the desired cuts, I feel it can get a bit confusing as the software doesn't really allow for the definition of a cut list. Or am I mistaken?

4. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Yeah, sorry, not familiar with sketchucam , so not wise to its capabilities. If you can't save as one file, its no big deal anyway - just run the 2nd file straight after. Dave the swarfer knows that CAM s/w so may be able to guide you.

Cornerspace likes this.
  5. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

There is no 'definition of a cut list' in SketchUcam and once you get familiar with the program you may not miss it. Most of us use two or more tools on one project if it is needed. There are two main ways in SketchUcam to do it. One is a separate file for each tool without combining them with the 'combine' option in SketchUcam and the other is to not combine them. You may have to put a pause command between the files if you combine them but I'm not sure about this since I never used that option. Just remember to set the new Z height once you change your tool without touching the other axes.

You can even do routing on both sides of the material if you set it up correctly (with the same tool or a different tool). Google it and you'll find explanations on how to do it.

6. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.