Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Problems with openbuilds control, ubuntu, Mega2560 and Grbl-mega-5x

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by WillyTwo, Apr 23, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillyTwo

WillyTwo New
    Builder

This is my very first entry in a forum ever. Please bear with me if i've come to the wrong place.
    I have already searched the forum for solutions to my problem, but have not found one.
    So far I have used Open builds control under Windows 10 and everything has worked wonderfully. Unfortunately, I can't quite manage the switch to Linux Ubuntu (which I have installed on the computer in my hobby room). I can connect Open builds control to my milling machine, and commands via the Log / Serial Console are also processed. Even whole jobs are running. But commands via the user interface (e.g. +X / -X or setzero do not work. Immediately after connecting to the milling machine, the "GBRL Settings" tab is also missing. This only appears after entering $$ via the Serial Console. If G53 is entered, the board reports in the console that the coordinates have been set to zero, but the display in Open builds control does not change. Another problem is that a connection can only be established if the reset button on the Arduino is held down before clicking on the connect-button and releasing the reset-button shortly afterwards.

Here are the details of my setup:

Hardware: Controlboard Mega 2560 und Ramps 1.6 on USB port ttyACM0

Firmware: Grbl-Mega-5x version 1.2g dated 20220917

Software: Open builds control v1.0.371

Operating system: Linux Ubuntu 23.10

P.S. I can connect and program the Arduino Mega with the Arduino IDE under Ubuntu without any problems. The interface works in both directions.

Maybe someone has an idea what I am doing wrong.

Many thanks in advance WillyTwo

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

OpenBuilds CONTROL is designed to work with GRBL 1.1 for Arduino Uno (that is what is in the Blackbox 4x, Atmega328p processor)
    and grblHAL (the 32 bit port of GRBL that is now the standard and future of GRBL).

GRBL-mega-5x issues different replies to the startup queries (and obviously other commands) so CONTROL does not know what it is dealing with.
    The Mega256 is an 8bit processor.
    That build may have the settings for tuning the replies so CONTROL understands, you will have to research the settings used for GRBL 1.1 and compare to what your Mega is using.

If you don't need actual 5 axis then maybe stock GRBL 1.1 can be loaded on that controller.
    Otherwise you will need to move to a grblHAL based controller like our own Blackbox X32 (4 axis) or one of GitHub - grblHAL/Controllers: List of controllers supported by grblHAL.

A big benefit to the X32 is that is has real 4amp dirvers, something the RAMPS board cannot boast.
    Also, the RAMPS runs at 12v and the X32 at 24v, this means it can drive the stepper motors faster, reliably.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. WillyTwo

WillyTwo New
    Builder

Thank you David for the very quick reply.
    I spent a lot of time customizing the settings in grbl-mega-5x (config.h / cpu_map.h) for the ramp 1.6 board and the Mega2560 board. I was overjoyed to have done it after many attempts. I used very different software as controllers, such as UGS, bCNC, SerialComCNC and finally grblgru (which can also be used to control a 4th axis). All of them worked, but none of them could fulfill all my wishes. And so I tried Openbuild control. I came very close to what I wanted. And everything worked really well under Windows, including the 4th axis. When I now wanted to move my milling machine to my workshop and I only have one computer with Linux Ubuntu there, I thought I could get everything up and running again. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Everything worked, except for the communication via the graphical user interface.
    It looks like I will also have to install Windows on the workshop computer to be able to continue using Openbuilds control with my machine. The program is really good!
    Thanks again for the tips
    WillyTwo

David the swarfer likes this.
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

There is no difference between Linux/Windows in our code.
    Is it a genuine Arduino, or some far east fake that cheaped out and used a CH340 USB chip?

5. WillyTwo

WillyTwo New
    Builder

It's a MEGA2560 R3 from ELEGOO, so not a genuine Arduino. If I see it right the Chip for the communication is Atmel MEGA16U2.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

7. WillyTwo

WillyTwo New
    Builder

Thanks for the tip and many thanks for the great control software. I really enjoy working with it. I understand that I need to get some other hardware as far as the Mega2560 is concerned. Unfortunately, this means a lot of work for my machine when converting it. Of course, I could simply use your black box, but I'm not there yet. I will try out a few more things and then report back.
    Until then, thank you
    Best regards
    WillyTwo

8. WillyTwo

WillyTwo New
    Builder

Hello everyone,
    I have just said goodbye to openbuilds control. Two reasons for this:

1. I can't get the software to run under Linux. After a lot of research I came to the conclusion that it must be due to the communication between openbuilds control and my Mega2560 controller. There are no communication problems with other programs. Commands were also recognized via the arduino IDE and correct responses were sent. So openbuilds is actually not suitable for the mega 2560 under linux

2. The main reason for uninstalling openbuilds control is the fact that the program starts via autostart, which cannot be deactivated. This is very annoying and unacceptable.

Too bad, because the software is otherwise actually quite good.
    Kind regards
    Willy Two

9. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

Linux is not the problem, the Mega256 is the problem, CONTROL is designed to work with *stock* GRBL 1.1 on an Arduino Uno (as in the Blackbox 4X) or grblHAL on HAL supported hardware, and specifically 3 or 4 axis firmware on an ESP32 (in the Blackbox X32). So, if your GRBL on the mega is not STOCK GRBL 1.1, then CONTROL does not know how to talk to it. In fact few general GUI's will talk to all of the GRBL variants.
    it starts and does nothing, just creates a taskbar icon, why is that a problem?
    I know I have stopped it autostarting under Linux, can't recall exactly what I did, but it is possible. Yes, any update will re-enable it, and then I will just disable it if I cared.
    Since I run bCNC under Xubuntu as my main controller (at this time), I don't mess with anything much, it just works.

10. WillyTwo

WillyTwo New
    Builder

On point 1: If the Mega 2560 and grbl-mega-5x are the problem, why does this combination work flawlessly with openbuilds control under windows?
    Point 2: If it starts and does nothing, why does it start at all? I just don't like it when programs start without being asked. That's just the way I am :)

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Runs a webserver for remote access from any other device on the LAN (go type the PC where it's running IP port 3000 into any other PC or device on the network), also a API for integrations from CAMs and scripts and plugins galore Developers: API to Inject GCODE into CONTROL - more appropriate to those that run the whole OpenBuilds setup of course

We wish you best of luck of though, enjoy the hobby! Closing this thread for now, it seems to have run its course. Have a good one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.