Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Problem with test run

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Glenn67, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Glenn67

Glenn67 New
    Builder

Hey everyone,
    I'm very new to the CNC world so forgive the newbie question. I built my CNC router table and am using xPro V3 driving 3 NEMA 23 motors.Everything is square and rolls smooth. I taped a marker to the Z axis to give it a test run. I just picked a random smiley face image from Easel and tried it out. It compressed the image on the test paper. Instead of a perfect circle it was more of a squashed circle. I'm not sure which direction to look. Again, everything is square and doesn't bind. Is this a controller problem or something with Easel? I don't plan on using Easel when its up and running, i will be using Fusion 360 and Universal G code sender. I haven't tried generating anything from Fusion to see if I get the same results. I thought I'd take it to the people that know first.
    Glenn

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hello Glenn, welcome to OpenBuilds and to CNC now that your bitten by the bug there's no turning back :)

If your machine is belt driven make sure that all the pulleys are tight to the shaft and there is no play in the system.
    Hope this helps get you on track.

3. Steve Fox

Steve Fox Well-Known
    Builder

Have you calibrated your machine so it is moving the actual distances the software thinks the axes are moving?
    It usually has to do with steps per millimeter and if you are using lead screws, distance per revolution.
    The computations include teeth on your pulleys and steps per revolution.
    As an example, if your pulley has 20 teeth and your motor moves 1.8degrees per revolution (200 steps per revolution), that's 200/20=10 steps per millimeter.

Joe Santarsiero likes this.