Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Problem with accuracy

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Pauliuis, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Pauliuis

Pauliuis New
    Builder

Hello all,
    I have Chinese WorkBee with Blackbox controller,i am using Openbuild free software for toolpaths. So i have probem with cutting plywood, when i cut 20mm plywood i get that top of my part get smaller than bottom by 0.2..0.4mm, all sides gets the same. If you look from side it look like trapeze, i did't get 90 degree angle top to side of my workpiece. Speed is 1500mm/min plunge 400mm/min doc 2mm, conventional cut and 1 flute downcut endmil. I am using masking tape and super glue to secure work piece.:) Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

That is probably caused by tool deflection. Check for any play in your router/spindle mount and Z axis, but you can't eliminate it entirely. You should always leave some stock for a finishing path - depending on what your bit can cope with leave 0.5 - 1 mm and do a finishing pass at the full depth.
    Alex.

3. Pauliuis

Pauliuis New
    Builder

Thanks Alex , i was thinking about it, but then i need to learn how to use fusion360 as,openbuild software doesn't have this option

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Lie about the size of the bit when you create a toolpath. For an outside cut tell the software that the bit is larger than it really is.
    Alex.

Pauliuis likes this.
  5. Pauliuis

Pauliuis New
    Builder

I am already doing that in software pick 6mm,but in reality it's smaller, i will try different type of endmill maybe it will help,as downcut endmill clog dust very fast,maybe it make sence.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If does if you lie about endmill diameter (;

Run a first pass with say 1/4in bit (6.35mm actual) but tell CAM its a 6.5mm bit - to compensate for the larger bit it moves the toolpath away a little extra [(6.5-6.35)/2] leaving some stock
    Run same toolpath again, but with actual endmill diameter

7. Pauliuis

Pauliuis New
    Builder

Now i get the point,i can do it with openbuild software just manualy,so first passes will be everything same just lie about bit size, and then same toolpath just don't lie about bit size and doc will be 20mm. That looks promising.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  8. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

That's all the fancy softwares do under the hood (; lol. We will add it someday just haven't gotten round to it Rough/Finish Pass · Issue #60 · OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CAM
    But yeah, in CAM just playing with what you select/don't select, whether you set Union on/off in Advanced, fudging numbers in diameters, tabs, etc - really gets you tweaking. And learning... Because now instead of just clicking "leave stock" - you actually understand what its doing too :)

Pauliuis likes this.
  9. Pauliuis

Pauliuis New
    Builder

Thank you, I tried and really helped that finnish pass , the quality improved as i wanted. Just need figure it out how much mm to leave and what speed to use to get best results. :thumbsup:

Giarc likes this.