Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Problem with 4th axis on CNC shield

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by avhoboken, Feb 16, 2019.

1. avhoboken

avhoboken New
    Builder

Hi.
    I'm building a small CNC router using Arduino Uno, a CNC Shield v3 with A4988 controllers and 4 NEMA 17 steppers. The second Y-axis stepper is connected to the slave and jumpers are put in the righ place.
    Everything is working fine....but only for the first minutes. After a few minutes after a job starts, the two Y-axis steppers have moments that they are not moving anymore at the same time. I can't figure out what is causing this. I replaced everything with other components (steppers, cnc shield, used DRV8825, other gcode ), but the problem comes back every time.
    Does anyone has a clue how I can fix this?

Thanks,
    Alex

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Check the solder joints on the boards. May not solve the problem but it is generally a good place to start.

3. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Location of your electronics and their closeness to one another?
    Are you using any fans at all?

4. avhoboken

avhoboken New
    Builder

Hi all, thanks for the advice. controllers are equiped with heatsinks, no fans used. The issue is solved when I use cheap A4988 controllers that draw less power (only 1.5A at 15V) . The other A4988 controllers took about 2.3A and the DRV8255 up to 4.2A. I use a power supply set at 15V/5A so that should be sufficient for any combination of controllers.
    Anyway, it's working but I don't know yet the impact on the torque of the stepper. Will test more in the next days and hope it's solved now.

Alex

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

isnt the one driver going into thermal shutdown (it shuts down for a few steps, cools down, starts moving again) - that would explain the mismatched moves