Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Probe issue

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Adam Bivens, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Donald Oehlke

Builder

I am using a 1/4” up cut bit which I have used with the probe before and it worked fine. So that rules out the wiring. I am using Openbuilds Control v1.0.312. I am using a Bosch 1617EVS.

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Websocket crash: Try after a reboot

3. Donald Oehlke

Builder

I did that and nothing changed and had the same result.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Websocket crashes means the backend software crashes out. Try reinstalling, try a different PC

5. Donald Oehlke

Builder

Thanks for the info. I followed your instructions of reinstalling and now the probe works fine.

sharmstr and Alex Chambers like this.
  6. Donald Oehlke

Builder

I am not sure what I am doing wrong with the programming but the Blackbox doesn't seem to want to cut everything correctly. My bed size is 34" x 49". I am using V-Carve Pro as the CAM program. I have programmed my spoiler board to have a hole and a rabbet for t-bolts. My first hole is in the bottom left corner with an X setting of 1.5" and Y = 1. I have programmed it with x=10 column holes spaced 2.75" for a total o27.5" in the 34" direction and Y=12 rows with the same spacing for a total of 33 of the 35" of travel. The first pass cuts the holes spaced correctly except it stops after 9 holes and says it is out of limits but still has a good 6 inches left on the surface. I have calibrated my X, Y and Z axis and they are within .02mm yet when I have the program set to cut 8.128mm it cuts a hole of 6.5mm. Also I have the Openbuilds XYZ Probe Plus of which I am using a 1/4" upcut bit. I do a probe and sometimes it works and other times it freezes up after the first touch to determine size. I repeat but have the same problem. I had this before and was suggested I uninstall and reinstall. This has happened several times and quite frankly is a little irritating to constantly having to uninstall and reinstall. I don't know whether it's the Blackbox or the probe but something isn't running properly. Quite dissatisfied with the Blackbox motion controller as of right now as I don't what it's going to cut at what dimension.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

If the reinstall helped, try a different computer. The BlackBox cannot freeze your PC by the way. Corrupt windows install, bad device drivers, o/s reinstall, etc can, also your earlier history with Websocket crashes indicate that computer is either a little broken or a little old. No point in reinstalling CONTROL over and over again. It indicates the problem is lower down

False limits alarm: see docs:blackbox:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Size issue - you mention you did check calibration, so the next things to check are mechanical. Loose setscrews on shaft couplers, loose wheels, loose fasteners - usually something assembled or adjusted just not right. Hold the endmill, give it a wiggle, feel what's moving that shouldn't and rebuild/retighten accordingly

8. Donald Oehlke

Builder

All my connections are tight with absolutely no slop. I am currently running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Thinkpad that has been fully tested and is like new. All the holes that were drilled were exactly the same but the wrong size. They were perfectly round with no runout so that takes away any loose parts. I have one other computer that I will try tomorrow and let you know how that goes. If that doesn’t change things I would most likely want to return the Blackbox.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes thanks, we'd love to help you resolve it but to do so we need you to do the tests we ask so we can eliminate the more likely causes first
    Remember to add screenshots of the Log again, if the issue reoccurs on the other machine (if we can see the log, we can give you more info)

My diagnosis that it's a PC problem comes from your screenshot here: Probe issue - we are just working off the info you provide... If we get a nice log showing a g38.2 followed by some other error - well then maybe it's something else - but so far the symptoms and provided log screenshot shows IT issue.

Did you specify the correct tool diameter in CAM then?

10. Donald Oehlke

Builder

Can someone help with a stalling issue with the openbuilds software with the Blackbox. I am using Vectrics V-Carve Pro for my CAD program and programmed in a surfacing program as the wizard for surface/flattening didn't work. Everything is withing the parameters of the CNC bed. When I probe everything it all works well but when I run the program it stops after making a couple of passes and then the program freezes up and the alarm goes off and won't let me turn it off. I have discussed this situation before and have tried everything that has been suggested. I have tried 3 different computers and had the same results. I have uninstalled the program on every computer and even totally reset 2 of them and still have the same results. Don't know if there is something else I can try but this is getting very frustrating. So far not alot of confidence in the Blackbox and software.

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Sounds like EMI. See docs:blackbox:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Its something (spindle, dust extraction, etc - tell us what you are running) most likely causing the issue. Fixes involve moving cables away, using Xtension Limits and applying earthing. But see the FAQ for a much more in depth explanation and tips

12. Donald Oehlke

Builder

I thought this was supposed to be a plug and play setup. I am not computer guru like you guys and don’t know what you’re talking about when when you refer to Xtension Limits and earthing. This is not plug and play stuff.

13. Peter Van Der Walt

It is plug and play. Something in your setup is weird though. Like I said above, tell us what you are running... What machine, where is it bought from, what spindle, what dust collection, is your spindle wire right next to your limit switch wires, etc.
    You don't have to be a guru to click the link I gave you either, it explains it all. Don't give up before you tried anything.

14. Donald Oehlke

Builder

I have a Workbee with a bed of 760x960mm working area. I am using a Bosch 1617EVS motor. I am using V-Carve Pro for my CAD. My limit switch is located at the bottom of the Z column and trips when the Z axis is all the way up. My soft limits on Z are working fine as they stop the chuck of the router about a 1/4” above the bed. My X and Y soft limits are also working. I have had some luck running some of the programs but it is very inconsistent. The program that I am running is starting in the center of the table and carves out about an area of 6”x 12” and then just stops and errors out. At that point I stop the job but it wont let me home anything. It wont even allow me to raise the Z axis. I have to shut everything down in order to re-home the machine. I have re-installed the software many times and am still having the same results.

15. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Donald, it really does sound as though you have emi causing the blackbox to think you have hit a limit switch (as @Peter Van Der Walt suggested above), but you are not giving us enough information to say for definite.
    Where have you run the wire to your router?
    Are you using dust extraction? Is it earthed?
    When it stops mid job do you get an error message? What does it say (not just "Error 9" - there will be another error message immediately before that.
    Alex.

16. Peter Van Der Walt

Well that's not ideal, you want to be able to cut into the spoilboard (surfacing operations) and to the spoilboard for profile cuts

Soft limits makes life harder for beginners - I strongly recommend you disable it initially. Unless you do something really stupid in CAM, you won't crash - that added safety makes understanding the machine coordinate workspace harder than it has to be.

Grab a screenshot of the error for us

And where did you buy it from?

Stop doing that - "that's not how it works" you are not going to fix anything by reinstalling (for this issue anyway)

Grab a screenshot of the complete window, on the Serial Log tab when this happens - so we can see if its an IT issue (websocket crash you reported earlier which could indicate computer running out of memory, GPU drivers issue, or USB drivers) or EMI (limits alarm followed by Alarm mode lockout - in which case you first need to click UNLOCK before you try homing, and also need to put in work to sort out the EMI issue)

17. Donald Oehlke

Builder

Here’s a picture of what your program just did to my new spoiler board. There’s something definitely wrong with this program or the Blackbox. As of now I’m afraid to run anything with this setup. Unless you have an answer for this, I would like to return this box as I can’t afford to have this done to my work. I ran this same setup with the Duet 2 that came with the Workbee and everything ran fine but there was no way to calibrate it so I looked to other programs. I have also read the file you suggested and don’t see anything with my setup that I haven’t seen on any video I have watched. I don’t believe I have an issue with the wiring either.

Attached Files:

18. Peter Van Der Walt

OK so from the pics, you have a Dust hose? Did you follow the section 2.4 on docs:blackbox:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation]

I can't see your Limit switches, are you running the Xtension Limits (Section 2.2 of docs:blackbox:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation] )

Randomly slipping moves could be one of the following:

Can we assume from your lack of answer to this question asked twice its from somewhere you don't want to mention? In that case, are you sure the motors you has the correct electrical Specs (Inductance, Resistance, Coil Voltage and Current) so its similar to our motors? Wildly incorrect motors would lack torque / acceleration. If my guess is correct, you probably also have their switches which doesn't have EMI filtering?

I can also see dual anti-backlash nuts on your Y axis plates. The original design uses two regular Nutblocks (these: Nut Block for 8mm Metric Acme Lead Screw ) and being spaced apart allows backlash compensation. Putting two Anti-backlash nutblocks instead increases resistance significantly and can also cause you a lot of issues. Take one of the nutblocks per Y axis off, or replace them with the correct blocks.

For returns discussion contact the store via Support