Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Probe Center

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by dfox1787, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Durahl

Durahl New
    Builder

@Swisscheese
    I for one have solved the lack of an Outside Diameter Probing by 3D Printing myself a slightly undersized ( to apply tension ) C-Clip I can temporarily clamp around whatever Round Stock I need to find the center on and perform an Inside Probe on the C-Clip instead.
    [​IMG]

IMHO the biggest issue with this Software is how it still doesn't seem to raise the Z-Axis first before moving to a Zero position essentially guaranteeing it crashing into Clamps or Stock as it B-Lines from wherever it currently is. That garbage broke like 3 Endmills when I made the switch from UGS because the latter unfortunately doesn't support Macros but it essentially means I cannot use the majority of the Build in Control Functions since they're a risk to any Tool.

Literally have to make and use my own return to Zero Macros instead of using the built in Function in the DRO because of this crap - Blows my mind in particular because a) it's a no brainer safety feature and b) should be a NoEffortNovember level of difficulty change for the whoever made the rest of this Software

Actually... I just tested the DRO's Return to Zero functions again to make sure I'm not spouting any crap and it's actually worse than I had remembered in the case of the XYZ one... Even IF the Tool was technically in a safe position before you had it return to Zero the Macro will FIRST lower it to 5mm above the Work Zero, THEN start moving in the X/Y Coordinates GUARANTEEING you'll lose your Tool to pretty much any Clamp style Work Holding method most likely being used by Users of this Software

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

our post for Fusion360 now includes basic probing and I am scheduled to work on the more advanced probing 'real soon now' (-:

3. Durahl

Durahl New
    Builder

[​IMG]
    Lovely how we keep ignoring the Tool Breaking Issue caused by all of the DRO's Return to Zero Functions

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I agree, but changing it to a G21 G90 G53 G0 Z-5 may not work for everyone (though it should since we encourage everyone to use hard limits and homing), so now you need a setting for the standoff distance, and then you get a bunch more support questions when they set it to 50mm and it crashes anyway (-: Just can't win, but I do think we can make it better.