Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Power Supply

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Dale Y, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Dale Y

Dale Y New
    Builder

Ok. time to consider the electronics. I am looking at the CNC Xpro V3, with 4 NEMA23 motors. I also am looking at the 400w spindle from Spark Concepts. Now the board has a max of 24v, but the spindle is suggested to use 48 v for full range of speed. I am thinking I am looking for2 different power supplies, unless someone here has a better idea.

2. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Journeyman
    Builder

This is exactly what I do. I've got one power supply for the steppers/board. The other power supply controls my spindle.

3. Dale Y

Dale Y New
    Builder

Jonathon, you have the spindle from Spark Concepts. Does that mount fit right up to the beams from Open
    Builds, or do you need an adapter plate?

4. Jonathon Duerig

Builder

I use the 300W 'quiet cut spindle' from Inventables with its mounting block. Looking at Spark Concepts, these seem very similar if not identical. If they are the same, then it can mount one way but not the other.

The spacing between the two holes from side to side is 70mm. The spacing up and down is 20mm. So if you slide it perpendicular to a 20x40 or larger beam, it will mount just fine. But it won't mount parallel to a C-beam. If you use corner brackets on a 20x40 beam, then it can act as a kind of adapter plate.

-D

5. Jonathon Duerig

Builder

6. Dale Y

Dale Y New
    Builder

I like what you did. The 20x40 beam is a good idea, I think I will use it. Now, I just need to wait till they get some on stock.

7. Dale Y

Dale Y New
    Builder

Jonathon, I got my spindle, but it comes with 6mm screws. Yours too? what did you use in the slot to tighten it up?

8. Jonathon Duerig

Builder

Mine came with 6mm screws as well. I just replaced them with M5 screws of the same length and didn't pay any mind to the small gap in the screw holes. I haven't noticed any issues doing this (I think other parts of my machine flex well before the force necessary to overcome the compression).

However, if you are cutting harder materials or are otherwise concerned about the gap, you might try using a short section of heat shrink tubing on the part of the screw which will go through the hole. Try it on one screw as a test to see if the screw still fits in the hole. If it works, do it on all 4 screws and then you will have another guard against movement in the mount.

-D

Giarc likes this.
  9. JosueRodz

JosueRodz New
    Builder

Hi,

i designed a spindle mount and currently printing on my 3d printer, hopefully it will be strong enough to attempt milling one on aluminum. thingiverse part here! https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3680819 spindle bracket 2.JPG spindle bracket.JPG

RV6APilot and Alex Chambers like this.
  10. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Could I persuade you to post this in resources - it will be easier for people to find there.
    Alex. :D:D

11. JosueRodz

JosueRodz New
    Builder

Sure! this is my first post so i didn't knew the right place to share this

12. rodneysmill

Builder

can you use a power supply for each driver/stepper to ease the load of 1 power supply