Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Powder coating plates

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by MarkM_NJ, Jan 17, 2018.

1. MarkM_NJ

MarkM_NJ Well-Known
    Builder

Hi everyone,
    Has anyone powder coated their plates? I’m going to be milling out plates for a new build and would like to powder coat them after. I’m wondering about the hole tolerances. If I need to to make them larger to accommodate for the powder coating? I’m going to be using the openbuilds low profile M5 screws. As of right now I have my inner holes 5.10mm, outside for head 9.14mm and 1.6mm for inlay.

2. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Why not cut out the basic shape, then powder coat them, then, cut all the rest of the details. :rolleyes:
    It would be good to see how they turn out, whichever way you decide to do it.:thumbsup:

3. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

Would you consider anodizing? It won't have nearly as much of a dimensional change as powder. A good anodizing may also be tougher. The downside is it may not be as solid in appearance.

4. MarkM_NJ

MarkM_NJ Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for the suggestion Gray. I'll be posting pictures once I have them complete.

Kevon,
    I wouldn't be against anodizing, figured powder coating would be the easier route for diy.