Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Post processors

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Jules marcu, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Jules marcu

Builder

Hi I'm new to open builds not really new to CNC though however my CNC machine is a carvewright which uses a proprietary software which you don't get to see anything except the CAD part, you don't get to see any cam or post processor parts all that stuff hidden you don't get to see it. I would like to build a machine from Openbuilds. I really do like the C-beam plate maker. I do have some questions about post processors. I'm very familiar with SketchUp and very familiar with sketchUcam, however I don't use either one of those with the carvewright, but with the Openbuilds C-Beam maker I want to know do you also need to have a post processor such as mach3 or Linux CNC.

#1 Jules marcu, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2015
  2. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Jules,

The machines on this site are not plug-n-play. They're build-n-play ;)
    You will have to determine which control electronics to use. With that said, there are a few common routes to take. GRBL based, parallel port control, and proprietary. All of which should take Gcode generated by SketchUCam. I believe the swarfer is working on machine control from SketchUCam.

Welcome to Openbuilds.

Joe