Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Port error/failure

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Bug Report' started by woody1492, Aug 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. woody1492

woody1492 New
    Builder

I have a black box controller and it moves the axis just fine by itself, but when I plug in my spindle, I get a port error message. I had moved the controller away from the spindle, but they are plugged into the same cord reel. The spindle is powered by a seperate 10v power supply and not connected to the black box controller.
    Any advice is appreciated.Thank you.
    Woody1492

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

VFD Spindle? Or what kind of spindle is it?

If its a VFD: Checkout docs:blackbox:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation] - EMI from VFD/Spindles take some effort to mitigate (Routers are much simpler) - but the FAQ page covers the most important things. Note the link in the last point for further reading really digs into it. Most importantly, make sure the spindle is Earthed and the USB cable is short, good quality, and with Ferrite cores on it.

3. woody1492

woody1492 New
    Builder

Thanks for the reply Peter! It is a Mcwdoit CNC Spindle Kit 500W Air Cooled 0.5kw Milling Motor + Spindle Speed Power Converter from Amazon.com with no VFD. It worked for me before, but started don't know what could be happening now. I will check out the information in the links you provided to see if something works.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder