Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Please help me choose a controller.

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by solarground, Jul 16, 2015.

1. solarground

solarground Journeyman
    Builder

Hi,

I would like to buy a new controller for my ox. i had a difficult experience with a controller and currently is almost dead.
    Now im searching a non expensive controller good for beginners to start work with. I leave in europe so im interested for controllers that i can find easily and are not from outside europe to save some money (tinyg cost 200+ euro!).
    I have searched for alternatives and i am between these controllers

1) smothieboard
    2)gshield
    3)arduino cnc shield

What do you recommend me? I have seen people use a lot the gshield i tend to this, but i would like to know your opinion and if there are other options.

Kind regards,
    Nick

EDIT: my motors are 2.8A so the best fit from the above is cnc shield with drv8825 i think.

#1 solarground, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  2. solarground

solarground Journeyman
    Builder

i can get also tb6560 drivers for ~15euros each, but i dont know what breakoutboard i should use for setup with grbl. Is there any guide available?

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

If you are in Europe, you might also consider the offerings of PlanetCNC. They come with fully featured software and the Mk 3/4 should fit within your budget even with the addition of the 4 required drivers.

4. solarground

solarground Journeyman
    Builder

Thank you for your mention, i was aware of these controllers but didnt know if was suitable for newbies, and thought i had to purchase also a software license.

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

There is no reason it should be a problem for newbs. It may actually be even easier for newbs than grbl setups as it takes care of a lot of the minutia. And yes, the license is included. Too bad you weren't looking about 3 months ago. They were closing out the Mk 2/4 for 99 Euro.

solarground likes this.
  6. solarground

solarground Journeyman
    Builder

Hi! Im thinking if its good to use these tb6560 drivers with an arduino. Does anyone know what is best for clone the y axis motor? Should i use one driver for two motors or one driver for each motor? If i use two drivers, does it matter how the two drivers are connected one with another and to the arduino pins? It seems that is only one way but i dont know for sure..
    Any advice is appreciated! Thank you

7. Rich Moller

Builder

I wired two steppers on my x axis. I used a stepper driver for each motor. I wired both step and direction the same to the same inputs. Motor left need to turn CW and motor right need to turn CCW. Wire the left motor A+, A-, B+, B- per the spec thenon the right motor wire A wires the same but on the B- wire to the B+ terminal and the B+ to the B- terminal. This will cause the right motor to turn CCW if the left is going CW