Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

please help im new :p

Discussion in '3D printers' started by m1les, May 16, 2015.

1. m1les

m1les Well-Known
    Builder

k so i want to build my own 3d printer i've made a couple 3d printers before but they were from kits. I'm good at assembling things but I'm not %100 on how they work, for example the 3d printer i want to build i can build the xyz axis's and mount motors wear i want and everything but i don't know how to actually hook it up, like what board to connect it to and what soft where to use with it. i guess what i'm asking is i can make an entire 3d printer but i don't understand how to wire it is it as simple as just plugging the motors into this http://openbuildspartstore.com/cnc-xpro-v2-controller-stepper-driver/ and then just using provided software?

2. runninfarmer

runninfarmer Veteran
    Builder

For 3D printing, I would stick with a RAMPs 1.4 board if you're still a little new to it. They're cheap and there's plenty of info on them. They are plug and play for the most part and if you blow a driver, you can simply replace it with another one ($3-$5).

You will need to do some firmware modification though depending on your machine's specs.

#2 runninfarmer, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  3. m1les

m1les Well-Known
    Builder

thanks :) i was looking at arduino uno with a g shield and there around $5o why is ramp so cheap ?

4. runninfarmer

runninfarmer Veteran
    Builder

You can get arduino Mega 2560 clone with RAMPS and drivers for $35 here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331060312249?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT. They're cheap because of being Chinese made, but work fine. You also have 3 axes and two extruder axes. I believe the g shield is more setup for CNC applications, but I'm not familiar with g shield so I could be corrected on that. RAMPS are also conveniently setup for hotend/heated bed inputs/outputs.

5. m1les

m1les Well-Known
    Builder

thanks for all the feedback broski i really appreciate it :)

6. feenix3k

feenix3k Journeyman
    Builder

7. m1les

m1les Well-Known
    Builder

8. m1les

m1les Well-Known
    Builder

9. feenix3k

feenix3k Journeyman
    Builder

I think it will work for a CNC but Im not sure,

10. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Master
    Builder

You will need to make sure that the drivers and such will handle the power requirements of the motors you are using. If it is a smaller machine, with something like Nema 17's you would prolly be ok, but if you are thinking of driving 34's through one, you might think about a board design for the task

11. m1les

m1les Well-Known
    Builder

awesome thanks :)