Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Plate Maker with larger work area

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Thair.nl, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Thair.nl

Thair.nl New
    Builder

I am in the process of ordering a C-Beam Plate Maker bundle with everything that is needed to get it up and running. Default the Plate Maker has a work area of 35x28cm, although the spoilerboards are only 30x30cm ;-). As far as I can see from the SketchUp drawing, the Y-axis is limited to 28cm because the gantry plate hits the end mounts on both the front and the rear.

I am thinking of cutting away a part of the gantry plate on the front and the rear so the travel is limited by the wheels instead. The middle spoilerboard mounts will have to be placed inwards also. To be able to pass the spoiler board over the stepper motor I would also have to cut away a part from the bottom spoilerboard. This would give me an extra 2.5cm in both the front and the rear so the work area could be expanded to 35x33cm with spoilerboards of the correct size, again this is all theoretically because I only have the SketchUp drawing from which to take measurements.

Has anyone done this before? Can it be done? Is there something I missed in thinking this over? Is the limitation of 28cm indeed based on the gantry plate (almost) hitting the end mounts? In short is it possible or are there reasons not to apply this change?

Thanks in advance,

Theo.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Thair.nl

Thair.nl New
    Builder

Thanks Rick,

this is indeed another way of solving the limiting problem. I will "mill" this over to see what the size of these filler rods needs to be.

Greetings,

Theo.