Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Plate Maker V-slot Table

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Kyo, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Kyo published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Flash22

Flash22 Well-Known
    Builder

I have run a v-slot bed for a year on my c-beam, while it worked well the lack of clamping depth started to be a problem, I have moved over to a cast aluminium t-slot bed (10mm)

My double wide CBeam

#2 Flash22, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  3. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

That is a really cool Cast Plate! Source? I am mostly trying to use what I have on hand for this rebuild. I am currently getting 38mm of Z-axis clearance before my mdf spoiler board is added. I could net another 20mm with some slight rearranging but I rarely need the extra. I do have well over 100mm of Z-axis travel as it sits.

Mounted up my home switches the other day. Simple 1/4" aluminum mounts for each N/C roller switch. A mini V-wheel mounted on the side of the OB router mount makes for a excellent trigger point for the Z-axis switch.

Limit_1.jpg

X-Axis, triggers on the Z c-beam.

Limit_2.jpg

Y-axis, triggers on the smaller bed plate.

Limit_3.jpg

4. Anthony Bolgar

Anthony Bolgar Journeyman
    Builder

Great video Kyo.

Kyo likes this.
  5. Flash22

Flash22 Well-Known
    Builder

I'm Based in the uk and the plate was purchased from a uk company that turns out to be based in Germany, It come via UPS very well packed, they are also a seller on ebay most of there listings are in german tho

https://vacuumtables.co.uk/

I have just moved my axis height up by 80mm but I also lowered the table height by 15-20mm, the only limiting factor is the spindle clearance to the work piece, I did start to look at collet extensions, but the loadings when cutting may take its toll on the lower spindle bearing - this will give another 30-35mm clearance @ 8mm diameter

eg.

[​IMG]

Edit. I mite just have to borrow that v-wheel idea as I have some spare - I was just going to turn up a few aluminium caps on the lathe

#5 Flash22, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  6. Michael.M

Michael.M Veteran

Sweet project Kyo. Thanks for sharing. I like the v-wheel trigger. I've been thinking about upgrading to hall effect sensors for limits. What do you think? The main reason I'm considering this is because I've noticed shavings can pile up on a couple of my micro switch contact points.

7. Flash22

Flash22 Well-Known
    Builder

The issue I have with limit switches is I'm getting a lot of noise and false triggers I have just designed and ordered a opto-coupler pcb, based on the grbl design, unfortunately the Gerber files on the grbl site are missing the drill file and 1 one other file, So I just redrew the schematic in eagle and laid out the board

8. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

Thanks, no problem. Yeah the V-wheel trigger is working great. I do like hall effect sensors however I have never used them on a cnc router before. In fact up until I mounted this set of micro switches I have been running without homing / limit switches on my plate maker. I think it would be worth trying out the sensors especially if shavings / chips are interfering with your current setup.

I am lucky on that front. My grbl control has filtering on all I/O and already makes use of opto's for the limit switches. So far no issues with noise or false triggers.