Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Plate Maker Plus

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Thair.nl, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Thair.nl

Thair.nl New
    Builder

Thair.nl published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Thair.nl

Thair.nl New
    Builder

1. Larger bed.
    IMG_3259.JPG
    First I added aluminum profiles (15x15x2mm) between the gantry plate and the wheels (with longer screws). The spacers are mounted between these profiles and the wheels.

IMG_3260.JPG
    The same goes for the nut block.

IMG_3271.JPG
    The larger bed now measures 37(width)x34(depth) cm.

snokid likes this.
  3. Thair.nl

Thair.nl New
    Builder

2. Center the bed.
    IMG_3266.JPG
    I noticed that the center of the board was not in the center of the Y-axis range. This was solved by moving the front frame part 5cm to the back. The center of the workarea is now 17cm before and after the center of the Y-axis movement.

4. Thair.nl

Thair.nl New
    Builder

5. Limit switches.
    IMG_3275.JPG
    I used the default Open Builds limit switch sets (6 in total). You have to be carefull how to mount these switches to the mounting plate and also be carefull when you put the screws though the switch so you don't split the sides of this switch.

IMG_3277.JPG
    At the Z-axis was nothing to activate the switch. I cut an aluminum profile (15x2mm) to size, filed the edges round, drilled holes for the spindle mount and screwed this part to the bottom of the sprindle mount, at the top the spindle will need this space.

snokid, JimJ and GrayUK like this.
  5. Thair.nl

Thair.nl New
    Builder

3. Raising the Z-axis / 4. Spindle mount.
    IMG_3288.JPG

After dismounting both the Z- and the X-axis I lowered the original gantry plate so the bottom of it is now flush with the bottom of the end mount. This gives me 42mm between the bed and the bottom of the Z-axis mount.

IMG_3289.JPG
    I decided to use an extra gantry plate for mounting the spindle. This way the spindle can get low enough for all the work I plan to throw at the CNC machine. This extra gantry plate is mounted with six bolts and 9,, spacers between the plates to create enough space for the contraption to be able to move beyond the end mount.

IMG_3290.JPG
    The spindle mount (for 43mm European standard spindles) is mounted with 8mm bolts. As you can see the bolt heads are quite substantial which is the cause for the 9mm spacers.

IMG_3291.JPG
    Even with the extra gantry plate touching the bed there is still some space between the original gantry plate and the end mount so a complete travel of the spindle can be obtained..

6. Thair.nl

Thair.nl New
    Builder

5. Electronics.
    IMG_3292.JPG
    I had to move the aluminum profile which activate both limit switches on the Z-axis. I had to move them to the back of the extra gantry plate. I had to put 3mm spacers between the limit switch mounting plate and the C-Beam profile for the Z-axis to get enough space between this mounting plate and the gantry plate.

snokid likes this.
  7. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Great additions and mods and updates to the C-Beam Machine Build @Thair.nl Thank you for sharing :thumbsup:

8. Thair.nl

Thair.nl New
    Builder

3. Raising the bed.
    IMG_3296.JPG
    To raise the bed I had to use longer bolts for the wheels. This caused the wheels to "spread" a little with as result that the bed sloped a little (0.66mm). To prevent this I drilled holes through the raised profiles (between the wheels, else the Y-axis movement will be minimised by hitting the end mounts). Through these holes I put 8mm wire ends with nuts and washers besides each profile. Now the bed is even again.

At the moment I am using two spoiler boards of 12mm each. When replacing the top spoilerboard (in the future) with an 8mm version, I will have an additional 4mm spacing between the bottom of the Z-axis and the spoiler board. At the moment this spacing is 42mm so this will grow to 46mm allowing the standard sized 44mm wooden pieces to be used on this CNC machine (2.5D milling).

9. Thair.nl

Thair.nl New
    Builder

5. Electronics.
    IMG_3312.JPG
    I created the frontpanel for the buttons with the CNC Plus machine, filled the lettering with their appropriate colors and after drying sanded the frontpanel down. I also made a back, side and top panel to create "dustfree" boxes around the switches.

IMG_3313.JPG
    I put two layers of transparant lacquer on it before putting in the switches and wiring them. After testing the wires for a good contact and no shortcuts I mounted the panel to the front of the machine.

IMG_3314.JPG
    I guided the wires through the channels of the C-Beam profiles and put slot covers over them to keep them in place. So far the wires are only mounted in the side panels and still has to be guided along the columns and onto the power supply and the controller, but that is the next part.

10. Thair.nl

Thair.nl New
    Builder

IMG_3330.JPG
    While milling a test piece for my flight simulator cockpit I noticed some space in my bed. This was caused by the selftappers with which the bed had to be mounted to the gantry plate. I decided to remove the board and the selftappers and to drill the holes through the bottom board. At the top side I drilled some larger holes so the heads of the new bolts would be below the top of the board.

IMG_3329.JPG
    I then mounted the bottom plate with 25mm bolts and Tee nuts and included the 6mm spacers between the board and the gantry plate. Fortunately this could all be done without having to remove the gantry from the actuator (my fingers are not too thick). After tightening the bolts there was absolutely no more space on the bed and I could mount the spoilerboard again.