Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Plasma Floating Head with Blackbox Help

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Ryan McNamara, May 3, 2023.

1. Ryan McNamara

Builder

Hello,

I am trying to make a plasma cutter with a floating head work with the Blackbox controller. I have everything working except the floating head, which is where I am running into some issues that I can't seem to figure out. I have a limit switch on the floating head wired into the probe input on the controller, and when the switch is triggered the machine comes to a stop and wont resume until I manually pause and resume the program. I have tried different different programs for generating the gcode and different programs for controlling the plasma, but it is always the same result. For the most part I am using the Openbuilds Control to send the gcode to the plasma cutter, and I have used Sheetcam to generate the gcode. I'll attach a sample gcode file that I have been using for testing, but I don't think that is the issue as it happens with any file I try. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and please let me know if there is any other information that would help.

Thanks!
    Ryan M.

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Did you follow all the setup steps in the BlackBox documentation (Particularly, didn't skip section 7.1?)

If you did, please do follow section 7.1 (and have a read through section 7.2)

3. Ryan McNamara

Builder

That was it, Thank you! I was hoping it would be something simple like that that I had just missed.

Thanks!
    Ryan M.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Stevedude

Stevedude New
    Builder

7.1 has nothing to do with floating head?

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If you think it doesn't, you also didn't read 7.2

Relates to an old firmware bug.. See the Changelog in Section 7.2 of the BlackBox X32 Documentation. 7.1 relates. Always use up to date firmware and software anyways

#5 Peter Van Der Walt, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024