Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Plasma cutting

Discussion in 'CAM' started by David Miner, Mar 1, 2019.

1. David Miner

Builder

When the head moves to the starting point the Z axes should go down to the material and at that point it starts cutting and stays on until it gets to the end of the cycle then stops cutting and raises up and moves to the next position and repeats the process. I have a relay connected to the motor connection on the board which has 5v and makes the contact to my plasma cutter.

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

So you declared what you want it to do... but what DOES it do on the machine, etc.

If its from openBuilds CAM, please provide Workspace export (obc file)

The more details you give the easier it gets for us to help you

3. David Miner

Builder

Using the Open Builds CAM (OB) in the first file (2) when running the machine it will go to the first hole then the Z axes will lower and send a signal or power to the relay for a split second then off and the machine will start moving around the hole without power to the relay which is my switch for the plasma when finished with that hole the Z axes will raise up and move to the.next hole and repeat the same. Once it get to the Center large diameter hole the relay will do the same but it will click off and on all around the circle. Now when it goes to the square it lowers and the relay turns on and will stay on until it gets to the corners then it will momentarily turn off and turn on the relay like a break in the corner.
    The square was made from the program square tool and not from lines. So no broken thread
    The Coyote program will just run around and not activate the relay at all. It's just like running the simulation. It does not raise and lower the Z axes at the start of each segment nor any power to the relay.

Attached Files:

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Still don't see the OBC export... I really want to help you man, but can't without it :(

So without it best I can throw your way is generic tips:

In OpenBuilds CAM
    1. Use a drag head setup, with a Probe switch wired to trigger when the tip contacts the material
    2. Setup your IHS Gcode on the settings tab
    3. Enable Use IHS on the Plasma cutting toolpath (IHS = Initial Height Sensing)
    4. IHS uses the Probe+Zeroing between entities, it doesnt really show up as Z moves as its not. It just lifts up to Z-Safe height, and then probes+zeros as per your IHS gcode from the setup tab

5. David Miner

Builder

Now we are getting to the problem. I made an other program File 4 which is 4 holes 25 mm radius. the first hole has 32 segments the second 64 the third has 128 and the forth has 256. the first one did not turn on the relay but the other 3 did. They started for a split second turn off and then turned back on again. the rectangle is still turning off in the corners so I guess it has broken lines. the Z head is moving up and down correctly. I'll try the IHS.

Attached Files:

6. Peter Van Der Walt

May i suggest you abandon OB CAM. And try SheetCAM or Fusio360 instead