Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Pen Plotter

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by AREA, Sep 6, 2021.

1. AREA

AREA New
    Builder

Hello,

I have a 60X40 (1510) ACRO system and a BlackBox motion control system, which I would like to use as a large format pen plotter. I purchased the EleksMaker Draw Module (drawmodule2019 | EleksMaker Wiki), which is a pen holder controlled by a servo motor enabling it to slide up and down. I would like to use it as the toolhead for my large format pen plotter and I am wondering:

1. In order for the pen holder to slide up and down, should the servo motor be connected to the 'Z-MOTOR' or the 'TOOLHEAD' of the BlackBox motion control system?

2. What is the best software for converting a detailed SVG file to a GCODE file? I tested Inkscape however, it does not provide the option to 'save as' a GCODE file. I also tested OpenBuilds CAM GCODE Creator however, the process took over an hour and was not competed.

3. What is the best software for plotting? I currently have the OpenBuilds CONTROL software.

Any help and/or suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Use the Servo port: See docs:blackbox:connect-rc-servo [OpenBuilds Documentation] - always refer documentation as incorrect wiring can damage your BlackBox (wiring a servo to a stepper driver for example, would be bad)

As for software, cam.openbuilds.com supports pen Plotters.

3. AREA

AREA New
    Builder

Thank you - thought I would be safe and ask first!!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. mark allemang

Builder