Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Project Ox Upgrade Kit 06-05-2017

Beef Up The Ox

1. DazTheGas

DazTheGas Journeyman
    Builder

BERNARD FRASER and JimJ like this.
  2. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

Thank you! You just saved me a lot of brainstorming on another project with your leadscrew arrangement. :)

3. Trevor Farnum

Builder

I'm assuming your using NEMA 23 stepper motors? What spacers (specifically) did you use between the stepper motor and the brackets? Thanks

#3 Trevor Farnum, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  4. DazTheGas

DazTheGas Journeyman
    Builder

These are 40mm spacers available from the parts store.

DazTheGas

5. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for the file link. You just saved me hours of brainstorming. Can't wait till I get a chance to get into this upgrade. Also I'll let you and everyone else know how my single leadscrew conversion goes for my 1500mm X-Axis. And will even try and provide pictures with a description of my setup using UCCNC as my controller software.

6. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

DazTheGas, I noticed that you have an Ebay Store. Do you have any intention of selling these End Plates at your store? As it would save me considerable headaches.

7. DazTheGas

DazTheGas Journeyman
    Builder

I have actually been thinking about this lately so have been priceing up materials and cutting time, plus being a very busy worktime for me at moment. but if its just the 2 plates for the X i`m sure I can run these off for ya at cost ;-)

DazTheGas

crispin likes this.
  8. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

Yeah it's just the 2 plates to mount the leadscrew to the Y-Axis and the adapter to mount the Anti-Backlash Nut. I have my machine setup in a landscape fashion. Wherein the long Axis is my X-Axis and the shorter back and forth Axis is my Y-Axis. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

#8 Ronald4418, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

Don't mean to be a pain in the you not what, but have you had any luck creating these parts.

10. DazTheGas

DazTheGas Journeyman
    Builder

Creating the parts is no problem however I was not sure if it was a hoax as I got an email from ebay saying your account had been hijacked and being returned to the correct owner????

DazTheGas

Robert lees likes this.
  11. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

Yeah I got the same thing about a week ago. Apparently when I logged into Ebay when I seen your account there. They deemed it that because you're in the U.K and I am in Canada, that it was someone else who was logging in. For some strange reason, your Ebay account can't be viewed in Canada. So I had to create a new password with an extra level of security. On top of that I had some NEMA 34 Steppers and 3 HY-DIV268N-5A Drivers listed for sale and they removed them as well. Go Figure. Either way, my PayPal Account works perfectly.

12. DazTheGas

DazTheGas Journeyman
    Builder

No Probs I will cut the plates then this wkend.
    DazTheGas

13. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks, I seriously can't wait until I know longer have to fight with the belting system that it was originally designed with.

Scott Watson likes this.
  14. wiremonkey

Builder

DazTheMan!
    I've been thinking about converting the Ox to lead screws and **** if you didn't pull it off! I'll chime in and would be happy to buy the plates you designed to make this happen. I'm also thinking of extending my Z axis up 2" with one of the gantry sets I've seen up on eBay, but I don't think your design would effect that, no?
    I'm new to CNC and trying to configure the perfect dual purpose machine for hardwood/soft metal purposes and think the Ox with your enhancements seems to be the ticket, but I haven't yet worked up the total cost. Any thoughts? I'm trying to pull off a machine on a tight budget, $1500 max. I may go for a smaller footprint as well. Anyway, let me know if you have plans to sell these things or, if not I'll buy you a bottle.
    Cheers,
    Tyler

15. wiremonkey

Builder

I was looking at the Ox-Metal, but I don't like the idea of the screw connectors being made from 3D printed plastic. Maybe it's alright, but it just seems this way is better.

16. Duncan Smith

Builder

Well, I'm loving this. Good job!

What kind of speed are you able to get for fast movement, for screws versus belts? I'd miss being able to move the gantry about by hand.

Slippery slope of upgrade-itis though. Note you have stronger motors than ooznest stock kit...which would need new drivers, which seem in short supply in UK for something based on GRBL.

I'd cheerfully buy a pair of the x-axis plates from you, if you're game to make them.

#16 Duncan Smith, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  17. Gerta

Gerta New
    Builder

This is fantastic. I need the performance of lead screws but really want to take advantage of the large support community for the OX. This is the best of both worlds.

I'm trying to compile a complete list of parts for this upgrade, and I'm hoping someone can clarify certain aspects of the build.

For the stepper plates, how exactly are the motors mounted? Based on what I can figure, the motor would mount through 3 holes: the 2 outside holes (unique to the stepper plates), plus the uppermost hole on the inside that also mounts into the end of the topmost v-slot rail. Is that accurate? I'm wondering whether drilling for the fourth motor mount point would make sense? It would require a countersunk hole to accommodate a screw while keeping the plate flush with the v-slot, and it might also mean eliminating the nearby hole (1 of 4) for screwing the plate into the v-slot end.

My other question pertains to how the anti-backlash nut mounts on the OX gantry plates. It looks like the standard OX y axis plates need to be drilled. Is there a specific pattern for doing so?

Thanks a million for providing this resource. It's a huge help.

18. DazTheGas

DazTheGas Journeyman
    Builder

I will see if I can pull some for docs to help the community see things more clearly.

DazTheGas

19. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

I just incorporated a 12mm thick piece of UHMW Plastic to take up the space between the Flat Anti-Backlash Nut and the rearmost plate. Works perfectly and as an added bonus it's extremely slippery and supplies added support.

20. DazTheGas

DazTheGas Journeyman
    Builder

I will redo the files, I printed my mount on 3d printer so perhaps I should add that format too. @Ronald4418 hope all is going well now with your X Axis.

DazTheGas

21. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

I'm just now redesigning my Anti-Backlash Mount for my X-Axis seeing as I'm going to be running with a Single 12mm Leadscrew down the Center of the Axis. Other than that everything is working perfectly so far. Once this has been accomplished I hope to be up and creating new assemblies and products. Though I would suggest that GRBL Type Controllers are a tad underpowered to run a machine such as the one I built and therefore have invested in a Gecko G540 with the UCCNC 100 adapter and related software. Anyone wishing to investigate this style of controller should checkout CorvetteGuy50 on YouTube. As far as I am concerned he is the Guru when it comes to setting up and or purchasing a G540. Also even though I didn't purchase directly from him, he was more than helpful with all of my issues.

22. Ian Godfrey

Builder

Would love to see any docs you pull together Daz! Thanks for the post, and please let us know if you start selling any or all plates in the near future! I'm super keen on applying this mod.

All the best

Ian

23. Gerta

Gerta New
    Builder

This is the gap in the x/z assembly, yes? Did you find the gap was creating problems?

24. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

It's the gap that was created when I replaced the Belt Drive with a Leadscrew and the Flat Anti-Backlash Nut. And no, I was just too lazy to order a new spacer from the Openbuilds Store as I wanted to get my machine finished for a second time. And hopefully for the better now that I've replaced all of the belts with leadscrews.

25. Duncan Smith

Builder

Thanks, Gaz, the 3d printed X mount is a useful clarification. For a couple of beers I can get that made. I have a similar question about the Y mounts - an adapter plate makes sense to me, to give some room for adjustment and avoid the need to accurately drill the existing plate manually.

Hopefully I can prototype the plates in acrylic soon. I don't trust my belt drive ox to cut aluminium - fair to say I'm not enjoying the belt drive experience.

26. Paul Gregory

Builder

Gaz,

I like your design and I have new taller gantry plates arriving this week. If I am going to break my machine down to replace the plates, then I think now would be the perfect opportunity to modify the machine to remove the GT3 belts. I have looked at ebay (UK), but not able to locate your plates; are you still selling them?

I have Nema 23 motors with the XPro GRBL controller, will these continue to work with the lead screw configuration? I have had my current machine run for 6Hrs with no motor or controller heat issues.

Thanks for any assistance.
    Papa Paul

27. DazTheGas

DazTheGas Journeyman
    Builder

I hav`nt listed these on Ebay as of yet but will do at some point. At some point today I should be uploading a new file as I have changed all plates to 6mm and will be cutting a new set for myself so I can work out how much a full set etc costs to make and create an assemby video.
    As regards to XPro Controller this is something I cannot answer, but if your running nema23`s now I cant really see a problem.

DazTheGas

28. Paul Gregory

Builder

DazTheGas,

Thanks for your quick reply. I am not at any critical point that I need to install my new plates, so I will hold off and wait to see how you get on with the new plate development.

Again thanks,
    Papa Paul

29. Duncan Smith

Builder

X nut carrier for milling from 10mm acrylic or similar:

A360

A little acrylic weld and you're done. Yet to see if I've got the thickness quite right.

DazTheGas likes this.
  30. Duncan Smith

Builder

Upgraded my X axis to acme. I've cut the plates from 10mm acrylic, which will have to do until the machine is in a better state.

For these I've added little more meat over Daz's design (because acrylic, not aluminium) and slotted the holes to allow for adjustment.

X plate design here:

A360

All worked out very well.