Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OX CNC with 1/2" aluminum plates

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Bbaxter18, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Bbaxter18

Bbaxter18 New
    Builder

Hey guys, Ive been wanting to build an OX for awhile now and finally decided to pull the trigger. In my excitement i mistakenly told the guy who is water jetting my plates 1/2" aluminum instead of 1/4" aluminum. Can anybody see an issue with this or any other prep work i should do to get my machine built? I can counter bore out screw holes and such or just put longer screws in but im worried about the eccentric nuts and motor shaft depth. any input would be super helpful. anybody with an OX that has 1/4" plates could you give me a hand on making my 1/2" plates work(length of screws, spacers, etc). Thanks in advanced.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I don't have time to go through all the screws right now but can offer information such that you can calculate them yourself.

wheels - 11.0mm
    eccentrics/short spacers - 6mm (or 6.35mm if you go with 1/4")
    long spacers (middle spacers on X-carriage) - 9mm
    nuts - 5mm

So for the long bolts on the X-axis carriage = 12.7+6+11+9+11+6+12.7+5 = 73.4mm which may be a problem because the flat head OpenBuilds screws don't come that long. And while socket head screws are available in sufficient length, you wind up with having to deal with the screw head protruding a substantial distance from the face of the plate which can cause issues. The only other option is milling recesses for the screw heads and nuts. For the screws at the fixed wheels this is not a big deal. (I use the Dewalt pilot point bits as the larger sizes will drill a nice recess hole with relatively square shoulders.) For the screws at the eccentric adjustable wheels, it won't be quite so simple. You'll need to take your router and mill a proper (and flat) oversized recess. But you only need to do 3 of them so it's not necessarily a deal breaker. I would suggest using the 70mm screws and only recessing the head end.

As for the gantry end plates you should be fine just using longer screws. The only issue I see with the pulleys may be having to tighten the pulley set screws prior to attaching the stepper to the plate.

3. Bbaxter18

Bbaxter18 New
    Builder

Thank you so much for the reply, Ive got plenty of access to different tools at work, as my parts come in ill get the material removed. Just to be clear, The Y Plates, should be fine with longer screws(hopefully). The X-plates, X front and x back, are you talking about replacing the 65mm Low profile SHC's, Labeled 4 in the picture attached? and on the bottom 2 screws, the ones with the eccentric spacer, milling those faces properly? I've been rolling through pages looking for anywhere with 3 eccentric spacers on wheels lol. http://ooznest.co.uk/image/data/products/OX/OX-Assembly-Manual.pdf here is a link to the manual im looking through. Page number and part number will get me by but this is all i have to work with for now. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

• ox.PNG
      ox.PNG
      File size:
      169.1 KB
      Views:
  4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sorry, you are correct with there only being two bolts top and bottom on the X-carriage. (I've gotten too used to seeing the C-beam carriages which have 3 rows and haven't actually thought through an Ox in a while.) And looking at the diagram you should be able to just go with 80mm socket screws as protruding heads won't be an issue. There is no need for any recesses.

5. Bbaxter18

Bbaxter18 New
    Builder

Even better Lol! I'll start a build thread when I start, to document anything I run into. Hopefully this will go as smoothly as it seems. Thanks again.