Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

own drag knife

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by rulebreaker, Apr 6, 2021.

1. rulebreaker

Builder

hello,

i tired to build my own drag knife, so i can cut corners into styrene sheets
    [​IMG]
    knife, 2 collars, 1 bearing, some corners to attach it to the z axe and a nema 17 plate
    there is enough air between collars, bearings and plate, so it can rotate freely

first i put it into the maktia directly, it cut, but it didnt turn freely, i thoughed maybe the spin resistence is to hard,

so i made this simple build, but as soon it touches the material, it wont turn freely, respectively turn into cuting direction
    [​IMG]

software: i tried it with the openbuilds cam, drag knife cut out, adjusted evrything but didnt make any diffrence

any advice?

regards rulebreaker

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

At a minimum you're going to need another plate and bearing, inverted and mounted to the bottom of what you have. You'll also want a Shim - 12 x 8 x 1mm - OpenBuilds Part Store (assuming that it is the correct size) between the bearing and the lock collar. Right now your lower lock collar is binding against the plate and the upper is rubbing against the outer housing of the bearing. Having a sustainable gap of at least 10mm between the plates may also be of value.

The other item to consider would be a blade with a much shallower angle with the point a bit closer to (but not on) the swivel point.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. rulebreaker

Builder

i didnt thought that the off center blade tip could be a problem, but then i need a complete new thing