Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Original PhlatPrinter

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

kram242 published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Robert Hummel

Robert Hummel Custom Builder

I could see a laser on this build :)

Mark Carew likes this.
  3. Black Knight

Builder

I can't wait to get my hands on this little item :-D

4. nibbles

nibbles New
    Builder

Only joined here for this project! Really excited and looking forward to more info soon kram.

5. Mark Carew

Thanks guys I can't wait to get this one out there as well.
    I was thinking about a conversion from MDF to a V-Slot build of this one what do you guys think?

6. Robert Hummel

Robert Hummel Custom Builder

I think that would be awesome, no need for a mill or custom parts :)

Mark Carew likes this.
  7. FredP

FredP Rebel without a clue
    Builder

I wondered where u got off to Kram, I don't know how I could have missed this site! I have been thinking for a while now I would like to upgrade my MK1 Phlatty to aluminum extrusion. For cutting sheet goods, the MK1 is still one of the best machines around. Played around in skethup a bit trying to build one, but my skills are just not up to the task.
    I would love to see a V-slot conversion of the original phlatprinter, any chance of that happening?

8. Mark Carew

Hi Fred, welcome to OpenBuilds!
    Good chance :) Just need to get caught up on a few other builds on the table at the moment.

9. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known
    Builder

Wow, I'm really impressed that you open sourced this and I see a bright future for the feed features. I'd like to see this incorporated as a standard mod to all cnc's. It just makes sense. The Phlouty(routy+phlatprinter), the PhlOx(OX + plhatprinter), the phlaurek(Laurex laser cutter+ Phlatprinter). It's just like any mod. Needs to be added to all builds. Just my $0.02

10. Mark Carew

:D thank Dude,
    Well, we actually do have a whole site dedicated to all things Phlat! Lots of great people and information
    Check it out here
    www.phlatforum.com

11. Brother Pain

Builder

Mark, I love your idea of building this in V-Slot! I have wanted to upgrade my original Phlatprinter for some time. A V-Slot build would (hopefully) allow me to upgrade and use some of the components I already have...

Mark Carew likes this.
  12. matt_o_70

matt_o_70 New
    Builder

Mark It's awesome that you have released this to be open source. This is the machine that get me hooked in CNC and RC plane scratch building. Now that there are so many 3D printer stepper driver boards it's even cheaper to acquire necessary stepper drive parts.

I am sure a V-slot version would be well received - especially as parts list kit from the store.

Since this is kinda like 3D printer's - where the barrier to entry is often having access to a 3D printer to make your self the parts needed to build one for your self. It would be neat form of pay it forward... that once I have my OX based router built I will perform some test cuts and will use the PhlatPrinter parts file and will send the resulting cut out parts to someone who was looking to build a PhlatPrinter for just the cost of shipping. Then that user could post a build thread here and update it with something like TinyG or GBRL for the driverboard etc?

Serge E. and Mark Carew like this.
  13. Mark Carew

Matt that is an awesome concept, love it bro! :thumbsup:
    That's what it's all about.

14. 3DMON

3DMON New
    Builder

I still have my Phlatprinter MK1 sitting under my MK3. That machine was what got me started in CNC.
    My MK3 is still running strong pumping out foamy kits.
    A Vslot Phlatty would be good.

Mark Carew likes this.
  15. Mark Carew

Ok guys the Phlatprinter SketchUp model has been added as well as video links to the build disc!
    Please forgive the quality as this was an old school build :)

ewo and David the swarfer like this.
  16. ewo

ewo New
    Builder

Thanks Mark . The build video's are the exact ones i used when i built my first machine .
    They will be very usefulle for any new builders doing this machine .And the SKP files with the 3d model is fantastic
    for looking at the parts the way everything goes togeather. Kinda makes my 3d model look really BAD :)
    Thanks again

Mark Carew likes this.
  17. Mark Carew

Thanks Bruce :D These video made us smile when we were processing them to post. I didn't realize how long they were! :)
    Its awesome that you put the model together from the dxf! :thumbsup: (I love that kinda stuff too)
    Glad to have you here on the OpenBuilds site Bruce thanks for joining.
    P.S.>Keep an eye out for a new foam cutter I have been working up. We are trying to keep it affordable and easy to use, like the Phlatprinter is.

18. SlowBipe

SlowBipe New
    Builder

This week I added a pneumatic lift arm to my Phlatprinter 3. Best upgrade I have done since adding the Rigid router. Basically two 9/16 x 2.5" stroke cylinders coupled to a 110v pneumatic 4 way switch with two regulators, 1 flow control valve and two exhaust valves. All put together with 1/4 poly tubing and 1/4" push connectors.

This is saving me so much time. I can now insert a new sheet into the machine without even removing the foam front table extension. My old lift mechanism was completely worn out. I had reinforced the wood pieces with epoxy many times and the lift arm would still not stay up. Now I just flip a switch and the arms go up. Flip a switch and the arms go down. I can completely control the amount of down force on the rollers by adjusting the pressure regulator that sits between the switch and the cylinder top tube.

If someone wants to try and needs more details post it here.

I have a question. I want to build an open builds replacement for my machine and wonder where I might be able to source unique things like the drove rollers that are on the PP3.

Here are the pictures:
    IMAG0133.jpg . IMAG0134.jpg . IMAG0135.jpg

Mark Carew and Robert Hummel like this.
  19. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known
    Builder

hey that would be neat if you could slide the whole roller assembly into an OX and bolt it onto the v-slot

20. Mark Carew

Great job @SlowBipe ! WOW that is taking it to the next level of fun :) I have not had the opportunity to play with these little pneumatic cylinders yet but this makes me want to give it a go.
    What kind of pressures are you using on average?
    As for the roller end caps we had them lathed (I would 3D print them if you don't have access) and the tubing is fence tubing. Everything has to be press fit (including the bearings on the rods on a hydraulic press (basically a carjack press).
    There are lot of times during a build where these would come in handy.
    Great mod bro, thanks for sharing and keep up the good work :thumbsup:

21. SlowBipe

SlowBipe New
    Builder

Mark,

I want to say again what an amazing machine you have built. Yes it is really working well now, and I use my Phlatprinter a lot. I think it cuts about 12 hours per week. On Saturday alone I was able to cut out parts for 50 more MiniBipe kits. I am really wondering about my next steps and what I will use when this machine really wears out. I do think your routy design or your Ox could be adapted to dedicated or switched foam cutting. Switched is interesting to me because I also cut a lot of small wood pieces and wonder if a table based router would be better for this type of work. If switched it would have to be able add the rollers in or remove them quickly.

I am also wondering about your thoughts on using an ox type design for dedicated foam cutting? Would having to cut flush to the table be a challenge, leaving an edge on the foam cut that later needs to be sanded? Since I haven't cut foam on a router bed before it's hard to really know what to expect. I want to upgrade on my PP3 some day and I really want something that will take it to the next step. I would love the positive accuracy that I would get from a bed type router but not sure about the negatives. Sorry so many questions?

I am using about 50 psi for the lift and I vary the down pressure between 20 psi and 40. I think 30 psi is pretty close to the spring pressure that was being applied before.

Here are some links to the parts I used for this build change:

110v 4 way Switch: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121088851621?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

9/16 x 2.5 Pneumatic Cylinder: I used two of these. A 2 inch stroke is all that would have been needed. The extra 1/2 inch was not necessary.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/380552437664?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I used this tubing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281223998869?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I also used a bunch of push connectors off of Amazon.com. Total I have about $120 invested. I can now raise and lower the arms without even looking at the machine. I just flip a switch and go grab the next sheet.

I have one more question if you know it. What is the drive pulley that is on the Y axis (moving gantry back and forth) of the PP3? Pitch? Number of teeth? Width?

The only problem I am still having with my PP3 is that the Y axis is notchy. I believe that one rotation of the stepper motor just moves the Y axis too far. I would like to try adapting to a smaller drive pulley to increase accuracy.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

22. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known
    Builder

Sorry to butt in, but I think it may be possible to make a large-format OX using the 1500mm v-slot and then put the rollers on simply by sliding them into the v-slot rails at one end. In effect, this would allow you to process 4x8ft sheets, or longer, without the need for longer extrusion. It's a neat concept because it can be generalized. Just snap on the modular parts you need and away you go. 3D print head and heated bed? Check. Laser cutter? Check. Phlatprinter? Check. Lathe? Check. See how that works? One tool to rule them all, haha

23. Mark Carew

That would be a sweet build @The Dude :)
    @SlowBipe Thanks bro, means a lot to hear that you guys are getting good use out of the Phlatprinters. I see that lot of them are going strong with no signs of stopping :thumbsup:
    On the work bench is a new very minimal V-Slot Phlatprinter I have been working up and it uses a new low profile gantry system that can be adapted to lots of different machine types including a table based foam cutter. In fat that was the first build of the VSlot Phlatprinter and I still may go back to it since the rollers are proving to be difficult to make. The new Phlatprinter as it stands will also use some 3D printed parts to get the job done (if we go with the roller design).
    The bottom line is I want a great easy to use foam cutter and for me the Phlatprinter was that machine. It had its issues with tolerances and it could be a paint to cut lite ply/balsa pieces like you say so switching to a table may be the way to go after all.
    I think I will start a vote on the idea of rollers vs. table and build from there. I already have a couple prototypes for testing ;)
    p.s. the table version uses a foam 1/2" spoiler
    Here's a sneak peak of the low profile gantry that can be use on lots of machines. Simple and compact is what we were after with this design. More to come as we get closer to completing the build...
    DSC03574.JPG

24. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known
    Builder

That's almost identical to my routy except my leadscrew is behind the v-slot rather than through it. The problem with mine is that it loses a lot of travel with the way the motor mounts stick out. I think yours might get more travel. IMG_20140319_002932.jpg

Mark Carew likes this.
  25. Mark Carew

They are a lot a like :) and I love that you were able to join the plates to make a single unit that would keep your center of forces in close. What I was after is very similar to your build in that I was working toward a single plate as compact as possible that you could add another back plate to if you wanted more strength (like you have there on the Routy) I also wanted to keep the center of force where the bit would be pushing up as close to the Y beam as possible to eliminate flexing and I think we have accomplished this. Over all this is designed to allow multiple tool holders due to the V-Slot (like your Routy) and light duty belt driven so that we could use it for foam and lite-ply.

26. Mark Carew

I agree @JustinTime I have been looking at the two and I really like the idea of the smaller version The other one is bigger then 2x4 and takes up half the room :D If I wanted that like you say I would just build something like the OX for harder materials and keep the Phlatprinter cutting foam. Thanks for the input

27. thyrael01

thyrael01 New
    Builder

Hey guys,

just thinking about building one. But where do i know from how thik the MDF Base Material for construction has to be? From the attached SketchUp file i can meassure 25mm of thikness for the MDF. Seems a lite to big!?

28. Mark Carew

Cool looking forward to your build. The thickness should be .250" (1/4")

29. Nor Idzuwan Bin Mohammad

Builder

the dxf file are not scale? opened with librecad size does not seem right :)

30. Mark Carew

You should be able to re-scale it to the slot hole size of 1/4" or 6mm