Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Optimizing router path

Discussion in 'CAM' started by Paul Harrison, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Paul Harrison

Builder

Hi,

The learning curve is still sloping upward, it is nice to achieve something !

I am routing this instrument panel out of a metal sheet. Monitoring the router I can se it mills the smallest holes first and the biggest areas at last, fine with me.

For some reason it travels from one end to the other apparently random to do the holes, not and using a creep ahead or other plan.

Is there a way to optimize the milling sequence

Regards Paul Harrison

upload_2021-4-5_20-29-22.png

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Not (automatically) in the free options. You'll have to go for the more pro options: docs:software:overview [OpenBuilds Documentation]

But you are in control, instead of doing a select-all and letting the software look at the order of the entities in the file, rather, create toolpaths seperately, then you can move them up and down to create any order you want:

upload_2021-4-5_20-42-5.png

sharmstr likes this.
  3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If you like the way you generate your Gcode in OpenBuilds CAM, Estlcam is very, very similar, but there options to change the order of your tool paths for each tool. Generally, I just let the software order them and it does a fairly good job at being efficient. You can use it for free, but the paid for ($59) version is a little faster. I have been using it for several years and really like it. I used to use Fusion 360, but I find Estlcam to be much easier and faster for me to generate the code. For more complicated items involving 3D carves, I purchased Vectric's Vcarve Desktop. That makes life super easy. Estlcam can do 3d Carving too, but Vcarve is so much easier to use for that particular purpose.