Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenRail® Linear Rail vs. HiWin et al.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Jeffrey Drake, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Jeffrey Drake

Builder

I wanted to get some practical opinions on the differences between OpenRail and other products for similar purpose.

I like the simplicity and off the shelf nature of the open rail system, and it looks like Misumi has an interesting product BJKSG20-310 ($45). It seems a little harder to easily acquire the HiWin or TKO variety (I prefer simple 'add to cart' shops) and I am not terribly interested in cheaper chinese brands of dubious quality (although quite interested in chinese brands of superior quality). I also like the idea of some IGUS solutions.

So I am in the middle of designing a printer in the prusa i3 general layout - raising X axis and bed on Y. I want to consider a number of movement options.

I do not have an engineering background, although I did two years of EE. What are some of the considerations present with these sorts of products and on what basis would certain solution be better or worst?