Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds OX CNC Machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

2. mark rich

mark rich New
    Builder

The x , y dont seem to bad the the Z is loud best to take it apart and rebuild u think ?

3. mark rich

mark rich New
    Builder

This looks different to mine the one i got came with the Xpro Controller

4. mark rich

mark rich New
    Builder

This is the cnc

Attached Files:

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

That looks like the soonest version with a wooden spindle holder. I would upgrade that to an aluminum one. Or if you need a router anyways, get the RoutER11 CNC Kit . It comes with everything you need plus the ER11 collet opens up a lot of possibilities for endmill purchases

6. mark rich

mark rich New
    Builder

He made the wooden holder out of oak himself, is there anything on the cnc itself to tell me what version it is ect all he said he thinks its a OX and hes had it a few years

7. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

As this previous post noted it is probably an Ooznest production which is about as close to a standardized kit as you'll find. Overall, the Ox was a concept design rather than a formal kit and most people cut plates and built and modified it as they saw fit.

What power supply do you have on it? Is that just 12V? If that's the case, I'd suggest upgrading to a proper power supply. Upgrading to a proper controller board would also be useful. Xpro boards while they were good boards at the time have greatly been surpassed in the years since.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  8. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

9. mark rich

mark rich New
    Builder

The only reason i got this is to practice on really getting all the things your suggesting is going to cost more than i payed for the build. Its using a 12v psu yes looks like nema 23's and the Xpro controller. Hes added some strange bars on the Z for the relay stops ? were are these usually mounted as this looks a mess . Would i be better off getting the 24V 360W psu just to start off ?

upload_2022-12-25_14-34-40.png

#3699 mark rich, Dec 25, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2022
  10. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Yes. Whether NEMA 17 or 23, you'll see a noticable improvement in acceleration and available torque at 24V. Technically the motor doesn't see a full 24V, but it works anyway. You can get the base Mean Well LRS-350-24 PSU on Amazon for $40 if you're really tight on budget, but it's probably worth getting the OB version with the nicer, safer IO and switch if you can.

Oak is probably fine for a spindle mount for the rigidity this machine has anyway, as long as it's well connected to the Z axis slide. I actually kinda like the adjustable rod-mount limit switch too, I might have to steal that idea sometime. You can mount it directly to the V-Slot if you'd prefer, you'd just have to find a spot where you can attach a lug that can reach it to activate it at the correct Z-height. I don't know that I'd do too much with that just yet, unless you can 3D print custom mounts or something.

DRV8825 drivers, if that's an older xPro, are extremely outdated and were never much good for anything bigger than NEMA 17 anyway. Pick up some DM542s or something as you can- probably sooner rather than later for the Z-axis, since that's the one fighting gravity.

Rick 2.0 likes this.
  11. mark rich

mark rich New
    Builder

Being all new to this is tricky if i get just 1 DM542s for the Z ive no idea how that would wire up, im wondering now if i paid way to much for what i got :( it all sounds like it way out of date. In GBP i paid £650. i looked into the DM542s before and it was the wiring up of all the electronics that looked a little scary to do tbh. im really unsure were to start first now :(

12. Peter Van Der Walt

It is a bit out of date yes. But not useless.
    Problem with older stuff (electronics) is lack of docs, compatible software and that sort of thing.
    Modern machines are more rigid but just dial back accordingly.

Avoid overthinking it - get it running with whats already there - surely it worked for the previous owner?

At 650 in, get it running just good enough to make 20 custom cutting boards for whatever that weekends major sport event is, pop em on Facebook Marketplace for £30 a pop and your investment is pretty much made back. Blank cutting boards for £1-2 + quick VCarve job as inset.

Rob's advice should be taken with a bit of getting to know him - overbuilding is his thing :)

Rick 2.0 likes this.
  13. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

While this is true, it's generally not the advice I give, and very hard to argue in this particular case. :p

Overpaying may be debatable, but if it functions, it's probably not badly spent. It's amazing how fast all those little things you end up needing actually add up; if there's more than £400 in the frame (and there could easily be) and the wheels are in decent condition then I wouldn't worry about how much you paid for it.

That's something that we'd be happy to help with here, just start a thread when you're ready. We do expect some self-help, but there's no reason to go it alone.

1) Make sure it runs, re-tram frame after moving, dial out any new backlash, etc etc. Actually cut some stuff, just use fairly low feed rates.

2) Add 24V to the system. This will allow you to bump up your feed rates, and if you had any issues with the Z axis in step 1 it should help.

3) Start improving the drivers- things will get much quieter and more reliable.

At each of these stages you can make stuff to get an ROI, as Peter said. It's not all-or-nothing, that's the whole point of a modular machine system. Nothing has to be immediate unless the machine literally doesn't work for some reason. But it can be a solid learning platform that might also turn a profit.

Giarc and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  14. alphabeta77

Builder

Just out of curiosity, what does the black box give me over the standard OXCNC setup?! (Ie is it night and day better or just more modern/more compatible?)

15. Peter Van Der Walt

1) about 3-4x more torque from the motors (belt machines needs power more than leadscrew machines because a belt is not an efficient transfer unlike leadscrews that can multiply torque)
    2) all this documentation https://docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox - compare that too what you can find for an old xPro
    3) support. Well we've been here spending tonnes of that on you and a second hand machine, but being a real customer will just be better :). Normally we can't spend a lot of help on 3rd party and secondhand machines
    4) compatible with modern easy to use software (compare CONTROL to the old softwares needed to run an old xPro)
    5) ability to use an Interface https://docs.openbuilds.com/interface
    6) Filtered and optocoupled endstops and endstop inputs (use our Xtension Limits with BlackBox) cuts down on any potential EMI issues
    7) when you outgrow the Ox and order your shiny new LEAD1515 you opt out of the BlackBox and reuse the one you already have.
    8) As you progress along this hobby and want to add a 4th axes for rotary work later on, BlackBox X32 got you. Runs grblHAL which is much more extendable than grbl and supports 4 axes

16. alphabeta77

Builder

Hehe, really useful - re support - well I am a 'real customer' having bought an Openbuilds OxCNC brand new, I just then had two kids and five years flashed by and now it's all apparently out of date and super flimsy... That's life eh?? ;)

Really useful detail though - didn't realise it's actually affect mechanical elements like torque etc

Just trying to juggle whether upgrading my OxCNC (eg Blackbox, new router, end stops etc) is better bang for buck or to just go with a LeadCNC....

Don't use for anything harder than wood, so the OxCNC has always been decent to be fair to the old beast....

Mark Carew likes this.
  17. Peter Van Der Walt

Ahh you and Marc both have no profile pictures, his was secondhand and the refresh discussion had mostly been with him, didn't notice you were someone else :) my bad

alphabeta77 likes this.
  18. mark rich

mark rich New
    Builder

Thank you so much guys for all the input . i think im going to strip it down a little and clean all the wheels bearings etc im going to add a 24v psu then ill think ill go from there and see how it performs. Atm there's no Centre v slot on mine is this best to get also,as ive seen a few videos with this added for the spoil board to be added

19. flinner

flinner New
    Builder

Hi Peter can you provide me the OX plates DFX please.

20. Peter Van Der Walt

Scroll this page up a bit and click the Files and Drawings tab ^

21. flinner

flinner New
    Builder

There empty Peter, theres nothing in the folders.

22. Peter Van Der Walt

Circled the places to click for you:

Screenshot_20230118-193318.png

And confirmed that the encircle file "V-Slot OX_Build_81_DXF Plates.dxf" does contain the drawings:

upload_2023-1-18_20-11-23.png

flinner likes this.
  23. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

If you are going to cut these I would recommend looking for the Ox Heavy duty, which uses the much better c-beam x gantry and z instead of the 20x60.
    Gary

flinner and Giarc like this.