Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds OX CNC Machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

kram242 published a new build:

Attached Files:

Jakes, Serge E., Darin Ruley and 5 others like this.
  2. Mopar32985

Mopar32985 Well-Known
    Builder

Wow man this looks great. I know what I'm going to be building. Can't wait to see more on this. Are you going to be supplying the plates.

JayAndriot likes this.
  3. Mark Carew

Thanks Mopar :)
    Not sure on the plates yet, we used the ROUTY to cut these out of 1/4" thick garolite (amazing because this is tough stuff) so it can be done this way and this way allows the freedom of making your own style or twist on the released parts. However we understand that a lot of folks do not have access to a machine to make their own plates so having them available is something we are considering as we get closer to a release.

4. Mopar32985

Mopar32985 Well-Known
    Builder

Sounds great will be watching this build closely. Hope you guys do make the plates. I was looking at the routy but this Def has my attention.

5. Mark Carew

Good deal thanks for the feedback Mopar, we are excited to get this one up and cutting and can't wait :)

Mopar32985 likes this.
  6. Franco Ponticelli

Builder

This looks awesome and I am really eager for more details. Please try to provide a full build that doesn't require custom machined parts if possible.

7. Mark Carew

Thanks Franco
    The plan is to have a complete build along type of video from start to finish, in fact that is almost completed :) As for the custom parts the plates (but we are looking into possibly providing them as well) are the only thing that needs to be made.

8. Franco Ponticelli

Builder

Well, if you need a beta tester I'll gladly do it!

Mopar32985 likes this.
  9. Mark Carew

Thanks Franco, will do :)

Mopar32985 likes this.
  10. Richard Bell

Builder

Oh yeah!! I'm ready to push the buy button as soon as you have the parts list ready!! I've been working on one in SketchUp in my spare time (or lack thereof).

11. Sage

Sage Well-Known
    Builder

Hey Mark, this is looking really good! I've been working on a V-Slot based machine as well. I'm actually working on the Z axis today. ;) If you can would you mind posting some details on how you plan to set the Z up on the OX? I can't quite make out the details from the pictures you posted. If I get time I'll post pictures of my V-Slot CNC machine later this week.
    FYI - I've also got a rigid Delta build using 20X40 V-slot that I need to post up.
    Thanks for putting this site/store together!

Psychosaffa likes this.
  12. Mark Carew

Thanks guys :)
    @Richard Bell What is spare time? :D I know just what you mean my friend. Keep picking away at it and you'll get it before you know it, then comes the tweaking, which as you know seems to take as long as the main design itself.

@Sage
    That's the idea behind the teaser pics :D JK But there are still parts that are subject to change and work to be done before we can get into that just yet.
    That's going to be a nice build here! Looking forward to seeing it, thank you for sharing.
    Thank you for being a part of it and making it happen! Its really a community site so every working together is what makes it work :)

13. Glenn West

Builder

Yes, I'm interested in the 2 x 4. That would be perfect for what I'm thinking of. How about attaching a "BOM" to a build, so we can click and the parts are ordered/put in cart. Also I perfer if we can get the plates. I'm buying a cnc, because I cannot find anyone to do cuts for me.

viknet, Muryl Marler and OCybress like this.
  14. Mark Carew

Hello Glenn
    We will be adding once we are complete our build which will be after the new year, only because we have a lot of custom parts to finish making for this machine that are not available yet.

Thanks for the feedback we will be looking into making these as well. :)

15. Franco Ponticelli

Builder

Would be worthy to evaluate to use a 2080/2060 for the gantry to support a wider build? Of course it would require a new set of custom plates but the final result would be even greater :)

Pawlenko M likes this.
  16. Mark Carew

You could add that option to the plates, but you would need to add even more wheels to support the extra weight on the existing wheels. Delrin is pretty hard stuff but it can compress with enough weight.

Pawlenko M likes this.
  17. Charles Burgess

Builder

This machine looks like it's going to be sweet! Not long ago I finished putting together my Shapeoko. I really like the rigidity look of the V-groove extrusion. Wish I had found this site before ordering my Shapeoko. Guess I will have to do some modifying in the near future. Keep up the good work.

18. Mark Carew

Thanks for the kind words @Charles Burgess
    The Shapeoko is an awesome machine and a lot of the ideas from the forum members upgrades have been added to this design. That's the thing with CNC machines once you have one you just can't help but to keep working up new ways to improve them. :)

19. tonkajeep34

Builder

Very nice looking machine! I'm so itching for a CNC now

20. Mark Carew

@tonkajeep34 Thanks we are too! :) We have parts on order right now and just waiting for them to come in so we can continue the build video

Robert Hummel likes this.
  21. Xiang Liu

Xiang Liu Sean
    Builder

Can't wait to get the details of this kit. I'm interested in the 2' x 4'.
    Can you add the complete kit as an item in the part store?

apburner and Mopar32985 like this.
  22. tonkajeep34

Builder

Yeah that would be pretty cool

Mopar32985 likes this.
  23. Mopar32985

Mopar32985 Well-Known
    Builder

I just can't wait to see the parts list just got my electronics. Can't wait to get started on this build

24. Mark Carew

Almost there guys wrapping up the video for the mechanical part of the build-along as well as finishing up a new strong solid V wheel design we want to have available for this build as well as future builds of this style.
    These wheels should be avaiable from the OpenBuilds Part Store in the next couple of days.
    Sneak peak :)
    DSC03234.JPG
    DSC03103.JPG

Mopar32985 likes this.
  25. Mopar32985

Mopar32985 Well-Known
    Builder

It looks great man. Also hope u and your wife had a good holiday.

26. Mark Carew

Thanks @Mopar32985 we had a great Christmas, its always a joy to see the kids dig into their gifts. :D
    This year we did something a little different that I thought was pretty cool. We asked the nieces and nephews what their favorite gifts would be from a list and then bought the gifts for kids around the world the same things. So for instance if one picked a soccer ball for themselves we also bought a soccer ball for kids that didn't have one. It was awesome to see the kids reaction when the realization of kids not having a ball to play with hit and then the understanding that they had some small part in helping to make it happen was priceless.
    I think it made it hit home (because they actually stopped for a second and thought about it) and that to me is a step to pointing them in the right direction towards helping others. There were other cool gifts like school supplies, stoves, school desk, chicks and clothes.
    We found this this place to be a reputable organization to give though. http://www.foodforthepoor.org/catalog/index.html
    Due to the administrative costs of less than 5% of its expenses, 95% of all donations go directly to programs that help .
    Just wanted to share this because I thought it was a fun way to share that may give others some ideas.

Muryl Marler and Mopar32985 like this.
  27. Mopar32985

Mopar32985 Well-Known
    Builder

Wow thats amazing man. Aways good to give to others less fortunate than you. Also sounds like you taught the little ones a very good life lesson.

28. Mark Carew

One can hope :) all in all it was a great time for everyone!
    Thanks Mopar

Mopar32985 likes this.
  29. Nick Lancaster

Builder

Those solid v-wheels are exactly what I thought you should be using with the belt drive system you guys came up with. These wheels will be much easier on the belt as it comes up out of the slot in the extrusion. But it would also not suprise me to find that those wheels are more durable then the double v-wheels. They won't have a force trying to pinch the double v together.

30. Mark Carew

Agreed @Nick Lancaster I also think there will be many yet unseen uses for these as we all work toward new builds.
    BTW they have been added to the OpenBuilds Part Store (OpenBuilds Solid V Wheel Kit) in kit form we will add the wheels as well soon.
    Thank you
    DSC03238.JPG