Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds-Fusion360-Postprocessor-master generates incorrect gcode for drilling operation.

Discussion in 'CAM' started by Orlando_CNC, Feb 8, 2024.

1. Orlando_CNC

Builder

OpenBuilds-Fusion360-Postprocessor-master generates incorrect gcode for drilling operation.
    I provided as much information as possibles (see attachments). It includes a pdf with Fusion 360 configuration, a part (Z2XfAdapter v1.f3d) file and the 1001.gcode file it generated.
    To double check I used one of the sample machines in Fusion 360 using the same part and drilling operation and it generated the correct gcode. It is also attached (1001Z2XAdapterPlate.nc).
    I think there is a bug in the OpenBuilds-Fusion360-Postprocessor-master.cps. Unfortunately, I am stuck as I had rewired and replaced a working tinyg controller on my large CNC with one of two BlackBox Motion Control System X32 I purchased to replace controllers on my large and small CNC machines, and I cannot use it. BTW, I am using the paid version of F360. Your prompt help/assistance/guidance is greatly appreciated. I also attached a file (Z2XAdapterPlate.01of2 v2.gcode) that includes gcode file with debug enabled.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Misterg

Misterg Journeyman
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hi, I've run your toolpath through the Autodesk GRBL post processor and it generated the attached gcode that looks reasonable *to me*.

Maybe a workaround while the original issue is addressed?

It's in the F360 library:

upload_2024-2-8_23-25-38.png

You need to make a sensible choice for the safe retracts on the POST options - e.g. Clearance height, but it sounds like you might know this.

upload_2024-2-8_23-27-44.png

(My GRBL post has been tweaked slightly for unrelated reasons, hence the different name in the screenshot above).

Attached Files:

3. Orlando_CNC

Builder

I agree using the GRBL PP is a workaround while the issue with OB-F360-PP is addressed.
    I appreciate you taking the time to look at the issue running the toolpath and for the suggestion. I hopped the OB-F360-PP was a little more mature.
    I've used GRBL PP in F360 on Arduino and TinyG boards and everything in between with ChiliPeppr hardware fiddle and Raspberry Pi's. I was looking forward to standardizing on the OB-BB 32bit with the OB pendant I bought for both my machine and minimize this kind of distractions while reducing components. I guess this is the nature of these toys until we can afford a Hass or Tormach.

Here a link to post processors for common CNC machines and controls. (Post Library for Autodesk Fussion) in case anybody else needs it: Post Library for Autodesk Fusion | Autodesk Fusion

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

clearly a problem there, the holes are not drilled, I will debug over the weekend
    but this is confusing because this is not using a center drill but instead a flat endmill is milling the holes. Hard to compare a drill operation against a bore operation with a different tool.

5. Orlando_CNC

Builder

David, thanks for your help.

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, (1001Z2XAdapterPlate.nc) is a bore/circular operation. I accidentally attached (1001Z2XAdapterPlate.nc). I meant to attach the drilling operation gcode file from another PP I tested with and show those results. In hindsight, I should have not.

BTW, that was an alternate work around to make the hole and also to compare what other PP did vs OB_F360-PP. Once more please discard (1001Z2XAdapterPlate.nc).

The (Drilling operation generates incorrect gcode.pdf), 1001.gcode and Z2XfAdapter v1.f3d attachments should provide sufficient details to reproduce the issue. Please let me know if you need something else.

I tried with different GRBL PP from F360 and different operations comparing results. (1001Z2XAdapterPlate.nc) is one of many attempts I made comparing different operations results and troubleshooting why the drilling operation did not work.

I even used Notepad++ to compare side-to-side other GRBL cps files generating the drilling operation against OB-F360-PP, but I gave up.

Again, thanks for your help!

6. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

fixed it, so jump over to GitHub - OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-Fusion360-Postprocessor: Post Processor for Fusion 360 for use with OpenBuilds Machines running Grbl 1.1 and grab the lastest .zip of the code (not the release)
    problem: drilling not generating code
    cause: added probing which is done with cycles and failed to expand cycles that probing did not handle
    oops, my bad

btw you might be better off selecting the 'counter bore with dwell' drill cycle for holes that do not go through.
    set the dwell to 1 / (rpm/120) seconds which will ensure that the bit goes around twice when it reaches the drill depth.
    if there is no dwell the bottom of the hole will not be flat.

7. Orlando_CNC

Builder

Thanks again David. Nice tip! I'll be using it.

Ok, I'll get the latest zip not the released version.

Attached Files:

#7 Orlando_CNC, Feb 10, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
    David the swarfer likes this.