Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds CONTROL Software

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mark Carew, Oct 8, 2018.

1. SeanD

SeanD New
    Builder

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Veteran
    Builder

Well, that's what I get for second-guessing myself, haha. The socket.IO website was pretty interesting, made sense to me to use that one.

I did look at Metro too, couldn't quite tell if it was intended to do anything beyond a consistent visual layout though. Interesting.

Yeah, the Node thing was just stuck in my head for some reason, I remembered you mentioning Electron in other threads. That sounds extremely useful/interesting though, I'll have to look into that some more.

Looking forward to this new thread though, modern JS frameworks are something I (obviously) have near-zero experience with. Kind of exciting to not-know-stuff.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Project Maker Builder Resident Builder

Yeah mostly eye candy the way we use it. But compared to Bootstrap it doesnt waste so much screen real estate and the developer, Sergey Pimenov, is an awesome down to earth guy, always happy to help out and accept feature requests etc (; unlike bootstrap (;

4. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

When I have to panic stop the machine and hit the alarm. If I re-home does it reset the work offset back to what it was or is it bozo'd? And if it is bozo'd could it reset the work offset? Like it knew what 0,0,0 for the work piece and what home WAS when I set it so if it knows what home is again....

Anywho, I've been terrified to retry this without re-homing and resetting the work offset but sometimes I've already milled away the corner of a piece when it all went to ****.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Offsets are stored in Grbl eeprom, and persists over power cycles, rehomes etc.

Work pos = machine pos (reestablished by homing) + stored offset.

Check the output of "$#" before and after rehoming, you'll notice the offset is not changed until you setzero

Code:
    [18:31:08] [ G10 P1 L20 X0 Y0 Z0 ] ok
    [18:31:11] [ $# ] [G54:98.935,0.000,0.000]
    [18:31:11] [ $# ] [G55:0.000,0.000,0.000]
    [18:31:11] [ $# ] [G56:0.000,0.000,0.000]
    [18:31:11] [ $# ] [G57:0.000,0.000,0.000]
    [18:31:11] [ $# ] [G58:0.000,0.000,0.000]
    [18:31:11] [ $# ] [G59:0.000,0.000,0.000]
    [18:31:11] [ $# ] [G28:0.000,0.000,0.000]
    [18:31:11] [ $# ] [G30:0.000,0.000,0.000]
    [18:31:11] [ $# ] [G92:0.000,0.000,0.000]
    [18:31:11] [ $# ] [TLO:0.000]
    [18:31:11] [ $# ] [PRB:0.000,0.000,0.000:0]
    [18:31:11] [ $# ] ok

#1325 Peter Van Der Walt, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  6. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

works for me with my xbox controller (-: (must do a video on that sometime)
    however, Z runs out of space really quickly at a reasonable XY jog rate, I would like a separate settings for Z rate and XY rate (like bCNC does it).
    the default jog rate is much too high, and I change it, and on restart it is back to 'way too high'.

Batcrave likes this.
  7. Peter Van Der Walt

I used to reject that notion with incremental, but thats why I mentioned "Been wary of switching incremental to an improved version " - as I agree, with continuous, z should offer a little more control (feedrate)

Hmmm, used to save, maybe got taken our around the time Inch mode was added, if I forget, please do log issue on Git :)

8. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for the explanation. Lots of things are made better with homing switches which I didn't have before. So power cycles and crashes were absolute death sentences to a route.

9. Batcrave

Batcrave Journeyman
    Builder

Done.

Just wanted to make sure it was a bug, and not done deliberate for reasons that went sailing over my head.

(especially after the last dump of issues - sorry 'bout that)

Thanks for the link - I was all set to ask if I could get a heads-up when/if the suggested thread manifested.

Not something I actually have time to delve into right now, but definitely something I've been curious about.

-Bats
    (and you know what they say about curiosity and bats)

10. Batcrave

Batcrave Journeyman
    Builder

Ooooo! Yes, please! One of the biggest things (or very possibly the biggest) that I miss about Mach 3 is the Joypad plugin, that allows for scaled-rate jogging with the analog sticks (as well as mapping just about any other feature to the buttons)

That's something I'd be very happy to see (personally I'd like separate X & Y rates, too, but I imagine those of us with asymmetrical X/Y are probably in the minority). It was one of the very early items on my wishlist, that eventually got lost under the weight of the other things on my wishlist.

I noticed it kept changing on me, but it seemed to be happening more frequently than I tend to restart. I haven't had a chance (or the motivation) yet to pay attention to the circumstances, though. Once I was almost certain it happened after (or at least in the temporal vicinity of) a probe routine, but couldn't reproduce it.

-Bats
    (what's the line? "if wishes were horses, bats would have better luck at the races?")

11. SeanD

SeanD New
    Builder

I tried selling my mate on hooking up the wireless PC game controller, but we already set him up with a number pad for AU$30 instead do he didn’t want it :)

Attached Files:

12. SeanD

SeanD New
    Builder

Everything has pretty much worked out perfectly.

Attached Files:

13. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

Oh, shoot. I bought a webcam for this. Guessing that will never become a feature of control. Dumping a webcam off to the phone remote thing.

14. txcomp

txcomp New
    Builder

Sorry for the OMG late response but I finally got time to get back in the shop and reverted to 1.0.234. The pause button works fine in that build.

15. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

Buttons are flakey in 235, btw. I thought it was my mouse but it works fine with everything else. linux mint with the appimage.

16. Peter Van Der Walt

There were no changes to buttons in 235, only one tiny test change to the serial queue, during jobs. But give 1.0.236 a try (will try releasing it tomorrow or so)

17. SeanD

SeanD New
    Builder

Is there a way to prevent macro's getting removed on update? Last update just gone deleted all my macros. Will have to code them again. If not, that's cool - just wanted to know.

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Updates doesn't normally touch user data, thats stored away in localsettings under the application's appdata

19. SeanD

SeanD New
    Builder

Thanks for your reply Peter, must have been unrelated to the update then. I also had an issue today where I had to resetup the machine settings (X,Y,Z direction and step tuning). So maybe something happened with my user profile on that computer... hmm. I will have to look further into what happened. Thanks again for your continued assistance.

20. Peter Van Der Walt

Those values are stored in the EEPROM on the chip on the controller: Refer to gnea/grbl

21. SeanD

SeanD New
    Builder

Ok, so I found out where my macros went. Visiting the local IP address (192.168.0.20:3000) and localhost (127.0.0.1:3000) give me different results, one has my old macros and one has my new ones. I feel a little silly thinking they had disappeared. I was using the localhost without considering the changes doing so would create. So I don't know if I updated the GRBL from the different host address with a different machine selected. I figure this might have been the process that occurred that changed the GRBL settings if I just said ok to force a flash. I understand the firmware settings get pulled by Control so not sure exactly how I did this, but yes - this is all probably due to my mistake.

22. Peter Van Der Walt

Ahh yes, localstorage is specific to the URL and 'browser' instance, but thats only for folks going outside the normal "built in UI" that it becomes tricky.

23. SeanD

SeanD New
    Builder

The built in UI said I couldn’t use webgl in the 3D viewing area, but works fine in the browser so I have had to use the browser version instead.

24. JustinTime

JustinTime Journeyman
    Builder

I use a ShuttleXpress Programmable Jog Shuttle. I did not pay that price, BTW, I'm way too cheap to pay that much. I can't remember how much I paid since I bought it years ago for my, now totally decommissioned, PhlatPrinter. It works a charm on my 1500x1400 CNC router.

David the swarfer likes this.
  25. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

Those are like $60 from dell. Same from Amazon, I think.

26. Bill Jennings

Builder

I have had ENOUGH!!!!! After 2 years of very hard work I am now the proud owner of a $2000.00 boat anchor!!!!! My computer says the usb device is not recognized!!!!! Then I get the usb device is broken and does not work!!!!!!!!!!! I'm assuming the black box is what my computer is referring to. Don't bother responding to this.

27. Peter Van Der Walt

Disconnect everything except the USB cable, then connect it to the PC. Or try a different USB cable. Unlikely to by a serious issue, probably just a miswiring (or damaged wiring after working for some time) or faulty cable.

If that doesnt help, please reach out to https://openbuildspartstore.com/contact-us-form/ - if you still have a warranty (not sure when you bought) they will of course gladly replace it. Or ask if you can send it in for testing. Every problem has a solution, so please don't be disheartened.

Founs an old post of yours
    Sounds like limit switches wired incorrectly ( incorrectly wired to V+ and thus shorting V+ to GND when it gets hit) so do the check with everything else disconnected. If that works, compare your endstop wiring to docs openbuilds.com

#1347 Peter Van Der Walt, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  28. C11RTM

C11RTM New
    Builder

I have a Blackbox controller and interested in enabling one of the compile time options in grbl. Would the flash wizard in control let me do this as there does not seem to be an option to select a particular file? or do Use a diffrent program. Thanks

29. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Veteran
    Builder

Some more popular config.h options, like door interlocks, are available from the CONTROL flashing wizard as precompiled hexes. If you want something it doesn't show you, you'll be better off doing it through the Arduino IDE.

30. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

to do this you need to follow the instructions in the GRBL wiki for compiling . CONTROL is just installing pre-configured and built binary files, you need to make your own file.

read here gnea/grbl and follow the instructions carefully.