Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds CONTROL Software

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mark Carew, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Project Maker Builder Resident Builder

Because the web server or web socket is disconnected from the frontend (; (Like the error says)

More importantly, lockups should be quite rare, so specs of your PC?

2. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Well-Known
    Builder

I'm not sure if the problems are caused by the 3D view window being opened or another program like VCarve 9.5. I don't have the correct specs for the computer at the program for mentally-handicapped people right now. If I change Openbuilds Control to Serial Console window, it worked.

3. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

I use Estlcam not Openuilds's software. However, I have had a similar problem where many times I had my file crash when cutting if I forgot to close another resource intense program like Sketchup on the old laptop I use as a controller for my CNC. This also happened when I used to use GRBL Panel. So maybe closing all unnecessary programs before cutting may be a big help. It works for me.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Your PC only has so much ram, cpu and other resources to go around, so at some point somethings got to give.
    A reboot before a known problematic job will help too.

Other tips:
    Start, run, msconfig, startup: turn off all the unnecessary preloaded crapware, driver utilities you never use, acrobat reader and all those other things that run in the system tray and do nothing but waste resources

Turn off all the windows effects: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-visual-effects-windows

If you are not on windows 10, surprisingly 10 runs a little better on old hardware once you get used to its other negatives.

Update all device drivers

If you dont have a GPU, a $30 Radeon 560 card will do wonders

5. RodS

RodS New
    Builder

Newbie here and need some guidance. I have lead 1010 with a black box controller. I’m using vector Aspire. When saving files in Aspire there are a lot of file types to pick from, which is the best?
    I’ve looked on YouTube for OB control tutorials but couldn’t find any.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

BlackBox runs Grbl so include that in any software search terms to get more relevant results

Use the Grbl Mm or Grbl Inch processors.

RodS and sharmstr like this.
  7. Corey Applegate

Builder

Maybe the BlackBox is not compatible but how do I interface the Start, Hold, Rest buttons the Troubleshooting tab displays?

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  8. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

"Start, Hold, Rest buttons the Troubleshooting tab displays" Are you sure you are talking about the OB Control app?

In any case, the BB doesnt break out those connections for buttons. You have 4 options. 1 - Use the buttons in the OB Control app in the Control tab. 2 - Use the keyboard (you can customize this by going into Wizards & Tools -> Customize Shortcut Key Assignments). 3 - Use a usb keyboard emulator that will translate button presses into keyboard strokes (again, you can customize in the Wizards menu). 4 - Use the Jog widget on your phone.

I used a Shuttle I had laying around and mapped buttons to keystrokes as mentioned in $3 above:

Shawn Armstrong on Instagram: “Got the spare shuttle working with #openbuildscontrol #openbuilds #workbee #chickchips”

9. johnmich

johnmich New
    Builder

I have v 1.1.106 and want to update. Each time I start Openbuilds Control, I am prompted with a message to update and I select the option to install. When it restarts, I get the same message, and am in an infinite loop. The version number never changes. I next tried to uninstall using the Windows uninstaller, the reinstall from a fresh download. After install the shortcut icon looks different, but after startup the version number is the same and newer features are not present. Is there something special I need to do to get a clean install?

Also, is there a way to find out which version of grbl is installed on my xpro?

Thanks!

10. Peter Van Der Walt

V1.0.106 is almost 84 versions behind the current release (v1.0.190), probably why the update fails, you missed so many in between!

Control panel, add/remove software, Uninstal CONTROL

Then cleanup the Appdata/Install directory for OpenBuilds CONTROL

Heres how to find you install / appdata path before uninstalling it:

Go to software.openbuilds.com and download latest

Install it.

Re Grbl Version: Serial Terminal, send "$I"

#880 Peter Van Der Walt, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  11. Don Goodwin

Builder

screen resolution is 1920x1080, 15" wide screen. HP EliteBook 8570W. I measured and it's 3 inchs of grid that I can see. Way more space available on the right or left sides.

Attached Files:

12. Steveathome

Steveathome Well-Known
    Builder

Not sure if this is the question or not, but have you tried double clicking on the top black bar to give a full page view.
    Sorry if I got this question wrong.

13. Peter Van Der Walt

@Steveathome is correct, maximise the window, zoom into the grid (default view shows full grid. Once you load a file it zooms to the extents of the job.. Got to have some defaults and seeing the whole job makes sense. After that its under your control, i usually tilt the view back so i get some sideward view too

14. Don Goodwin

Builder

Okay here are two pics open full size on a 15"w laptop. Once is of open builds with only about 3" of screen for the build plate. The other pic is GrblGru thats showing about 5" of screen for the build plate. The openbuilds has a lot of open space unused space that could be put to better use.

I'd prefer to use a program that was specifically designed for the Blackbox than having to try and tweak something else.

Thank you for looking.

20191010_192731.jpg 20191010_195957.jpg

15. Jamie Laird

Builder

Hello Peter et al.

Your software looks great !

I have a smoothieboard for controlling the C beam XL. I'd like to use Wifi to control it via an ethernet bridge. However, i notice that there seems to only be a USB option when i choose it as my controller.

Any ideas how to use Open Build control from a separate room via Wifi or even ethernet ?? I'd like to use the CAM and control software from a different room if possible.

Cheers

Jamie

16. Peter Van Der Walt

Smoothieware is not supported, only Grbl.

Networking support is not included or planned as stock Grbl does not have networking.
    If you want to use a network bridge use a TCP to virtual comport application to create a virtual serial port.

17. Peter Van Der Walt

What is more important. The 3D view or the interface, buttons, etc. What does the viewer do: it shows you which file you loaded, and allows you to inspect the gcode a little. That's all. What really counts is being able to see the DRO, and have decent buttons that work on a touchscreen too. The 3D view is significantly less important, because it is also less usefull, than the other elements on screen. Accordingly thats how screen real estate is divided.

Also, it has to fit every user, so compromises are to be expected. Some people have widescreens, some do not. Etc

Having the extra width is awesome on the 3D viewer too, just hover over the viewer and turn the scrollwheel on the mouse: see how it uses the extra space now (;

Reposition the view using middle and right mouse button drag

#887 Peter Van Der Walt, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    sharmstr likes this.
  18. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

Is there a list of keyboard shortcuts for the dro? Are they settable somewhere?

It's going to be somewhere obvious, I know it.

19. Peter Van Der Walt

Not sure what Keyboard shortcuts you except to have effect on the DRO specifically (; , but all keyboard shortcuts can be viewed (and conversely edited) from Wizards and Tools > Customize Shortcut Key Assignments:

keys1.PNG

#889 Peter Van Der Walt, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  20. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

That's them! Thanks!

21. Peter Van Der Walt

Still rocking that old Windows 7 Laptop from 12 years ago?

We've added a menu to Disable the 3D viewer - that should help you use all the other great features of CONTROL, but without the 3D viewer (which is just Eye candy really) which slow machines couldnt handle

disable viewer.png

Some others of you reported an issue where sometimes the job stalls for a couple seconds, with CONTROL showing Not Responding along the top, if you were one of those, PLEASE do a test for us with this: Disable the viewer and run a job, see if the stalling went away. Give us feedback please! As it doesnt happen here in our labs, we need those of you who do have the issue to help test: Does disabling the 3D Viewer make a difference to the stalls. This will help us zoom in the root cause of that issue :)

22. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Well-Known
    Builder

If I disable 3D Viewer and I wish to load another GCODE file, the 3D Viewer helps me find out if I load correct file or not.

sharmstr likes this.
  23. Peter Van Der Walt

As does good headers in the gcode comments (;
    This is for those people who insist on using old hardware, Pi's etc. If you have an OK PC, you don't need it

24. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

Is there any way to disable G53? Fusion keeps stuffing a G53 G0 at the beginning and end of my files.

25. Peter Van Der Walt

26. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

This post (Duet Controller/Fusion 360 post fix) tells you how to add g-code to the header in a Fusion post processor. It should explain how to access the PP editor in Fusion and what to look for. You just need to do the reverse of what I did - find the line adding the unwanted G53 and delete it.
    Alex.

#896 Alex Chambers, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  27. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

@DarkPenguin , the G53 move is there for safety. What exact problem is it causing for you?
    and there are options for telling it to use an offset from 0. Maybe using that will help you.

28. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

I don't have limit/homing switches so the physical home is completely random. The offsets do not work because I don't know how much or even in which direction I should set them before the run.

29. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Well-Known
    Builder

I tested the latest version of OB Control version with the 3D viewer disabled on my computer and CNC router at the program for mentally-handicapped people and it worked fine without any problems. I have been complaining about the software "locking up" and stopping responding.

30. Peter Van Der Walt

Great :) Now when you get a chance, give 1.0.196 a go:

Moved it to the Troubleshooting tab, and added some more fine-grained options (disabling the whole 3D viewer was the nuclear option to see if it even is there that some of you have an issue)
    So when you have some time, play with it again, but instead of disabling the whole viewer (top item on the menu) try the finer levels one at a time and see if you can find one that definately relates to the lockups

Attached Files: