Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds Control, RatRig and a Shapeoko 3

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Quite New At This, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Quite New At This

Builder

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this, having had some experience with a Shapeoko 3, but decided to move forward into the (sort of) OpenBuilds arena and bought a RatRig 1075 KillerBee, which is due to arrive in a month or so.

The RatRig connections guide pointed me towards an OpenBuilds video - which was really useful - but also the OpenBuilds cControl software, which I really like! The interface is fresh and clean, appears fairly simple to use and does everything I think I'll need it to do, but I have a couple of questions, please.

Firstly, I'm intending to use a Duet 3 Mainboard 6HC controller on my new RatRig and was wondering if the OpenBuilds Control software is compatible with the controller. My guess is that it is, but I was wondering if I would need to 'fettle' any of the settings (aside from the fact my machine is 750x1000mm)?

Secondly, a friend has a Shapeoko 3 and running Carbide Motion, but he's having a couple of issues with it. Could OpenBuilds control replace Motion without too much difficulty? His machine is a standard (rather than an XL or XXL). Again, if it is compatible, how difficult would it be to setup the Control software, please? He's got a Carbide3D BitZero and a BitSetter, which I believe could also be used with the OpenBuilds Control software, but hope I'm not wrong!

Thank you

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Openbuilds control will not be compatible with any of the Duet boards I'm afraid - the Duet uses its own control interface which is written as a web page, but stored on an SD card on the Duet. I don't have the Duet 3 6HC ( I have the earlier Duet2) I know people who are using it though.
    I suggest you join the two Facebook groups below and ask for advice there.
    Alternatively, if you want to use Openbuilds Control, you could change your Ratrig order and get the blackbox controller instead of the Duet.

Alex.

Quite New At This likes this.
  3. Quite New At This

Builder

Hi Alex! We've communicated before! :)

That's a shame about the Duet. I did look at the BlackBox (I haven't ordered either yet, just the mechanical parts, wiring, steppers and limit switches) but I felt the Duet was a much better, future-proof option.

Did you have any thoughts on the second part of my question, though?

Thank you,

Pete

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Yes. If his controller runs Grbl. Machine settings are already stored in the EEPROM on the Atmega running Grbl, so just don't overwrite it by loading a profile

Bitsetter can be used, custom macro needed though

5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Peter has answered the second part of your question.
    Re the controller, it depends what your interests are. If you want an easy setup and are mainly interested in making stuff get the blackbox - it's a good controller.
    If you like tinkering with things, aren't afraid of very simple programming the Duet 3 6HC offers quite a bit more if its running the Rep-Rap V3.3 firmware (variables, conditional loops, more stepper drivers, expandability) but its fair to say much of the software for it is under continuous development.
    Ask questions in the two Facebook groups I mentioned above before deciding.
    Alex.