Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Openbuilds Co2 80w Laser Cutter

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Chris Anderson, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Chris Anderson

Builder

Chris Anderson published a new build:

Read more about this build...

Jdog likes this.
  2. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Nice, A laser is on my "want to build" list this year. I look forward to following along. :thumbsup:

3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I really want to build one of these. It looks awesome! I am curious as to what materials you plan to cut with this laser.

4. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

80W! this is a laser for the shop! Following as well, nice job :thumbsup:

5. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

6. Ocie Ward

Ocie Ward New
    Builder

Awesome, can't wait to see the results. At 80W, you had better not forget to put the stock you are cutting in there before you fire it up - it'll cut through the floor! :)

Chris Anderson likes this.
  7. Chris Anderson

Builder

Mostly wood and plastics right now. I like to do some engraving on some metal also. Also want to look at cutting some G10 type material and/or fiber (heard need to be careful about some of that - plan do get a good exhaust system going to vent outside.

8. lasergreg

lasergreg New
    Builder

Is there a material list for the frame available ?

9. Gabriel Faber

Builder

What mirrors laser head did you use?
    Do you have CAD models for them?

10. Duken30

Duken30 New
    Builder

Is there a proper build sheet for this or could I request one? I am currently shopping around for a laser cutter and I think I would much much much rather build this one than buy one online from China? It looks great. If you can provide me with it whether on here or through E-Mail that would be great! [email protected] Thank you for sharing your awesome project!!

11. Steven Bloom

Steven Bloom Journeyman
    Builder

Just a question, how fast can your x and y axis move ???/per second

Thansk Steven

12. Chris Anderson

Builder

You know I really do not know - right now it is sitting on a portable table that is not very sturdy that allows it to shake when I do move it especially the Y access (gantry) . The X access is not an issue - very smooth and it is not moving much weight. I imagine I could use a NEMA17 on that access or a much small NEMA24 - Think i have a 280 or something like that.

Anyway, I have easily moved it add 3000mm/s (think that is the right unit). I am just going off the top of my head right now. Once i get it one the dedicated table I plan to build I will be able to move fairly fast - will have to do a video of that!

#12 Chris Anderson, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  13. Chris Anderson

Builder

Added my current 3D design (step export for Fusion 360) file plus a few other design files for the parts. Will add 3D Printed STL files also sortly

14. Chris Anderson

Builder

Mostly Wood and Plex. I want to also play with engraving metal. Will experiment with some other materials but nothing definite right now. Oh, also foam board - got some models layouts i want to cut.

15. RichM

RichM New
    Builder

Awesome start to the build!

I'd be interested to see how much deflection you have over the length of the gantry. What profile did you use?

I'm finding that my buildlog.net 2.X laser is too small with only a 11" x 18" bed and would like to look into scaling it up.

Rich

16. Chris Anderson

Builder

Sorry Rich - not really understanding your first question about deflection/profile.

As far as size - my cutting dimensions are 600x1200mm which was my my goal to be able to cut 500x1000mm so I fairly happy.

17. RichM

RichM New
    Builder

I was wondering if you had any deflection issues along the 1500mm long extrusion. ie. When the carriage is in the middle of the x axis, are there any alignment issues with the laser beam?

Which profile (20x40, 40x80, ect.) Did you use for your x axis.

Thanks,

Rich

18. Chris Anderson

Builder

Oh, absolutely none. The X assembly is so light it was probably sturdy enough with just a 20x60 I have running horizontal but I did put a vertical 20x40 under it to make sure i had not flex at all! Lasers are nice in that they are so light compared to dealing with building CNC router systems in which you have all that weight to deal with! I also build 3D printers and building this laser cutter is much like building a 3D printer. In fact I was thinking it would not be hard to add a 3D Printer head assembly if I wanted. Just need a little more wiring for the head - although the length of my system may be a challenge to do something like that when dealing with print head heater and hermocouple/thermistor.

19. Jaybyrd42

Jaybyrd42 New
    Builder

How did you close the loop on the belt system for your z axis?

20. jezter6

jezter6 New
    Builder

Nice build. Can't wait to see more.

Are there many printed/CNC'ed parts that could be potentially replaced by Off-The-shelf Openbuilds parts?

21. jezter6

jezter6 New
    Builder

Another question I had - looking at the belt chain to your nozzle...there's a lot of wires there. I see what looks like the air assist line, and a line to the line laser - but there's looks to be so many more wires coming out of the chain and into that printed mount. What are all those other wires for?

22. Chris Anderson

Builder

Just added a new video with it doing it first "official" cut. Still need to build cover part (in progress) along with adding all the enclosure. Part of the enclosure is done but more to do. You cannot see it but build a new roller table under it to help stabilize it (much sturdier than table it was on) and also allows me to roll it up against out of the way when not using or working on it.

23. Chris Anderson

Builder

There are a few I guess. For most of the rail systems I am using standard parts. The big issue is building the build assemblies on the Y access and of course the Z access. Probably the Z would be easier to replace/redesign.

24. Chris Anderson

Builder

I do have extras there. There is the air assist like you said but I also want to add a laser position pointer (5v) and also a auto Z leveler (sig/grnd) so I have a couple wires pulled for that but those are not installed yet.

25. Chris Anderson

Builder

I have a long run along the front from left to right and I have a tension/connector there - it works out that the belt movement length (between the front left and front right screws) provides just enough Z turns of the ACME screws to provide full left range needed (about 300mm). If I wanted to have even more range then I would have had an issue. I thought about that and possible having multiple close loop belts spaced just so but that become a real pain (along with tension issues). Anyway, that worked for me. Could also get facter lift screws to get more range but would have to watch that and the power load needed to move them.

26. jezter6

jezter6 New
    Builder

Yeah, I'm thinking of just using pillow blocks/lock collars and moving the threaded rods a little to avoid the printed mounts/T-junction.

27. vonsy

vonsy New
    Builder

Hi Chris,

Nice setup :)

Is it possible to post the link from where you buy the 100 watt laser power supply , 80 watt 1200mm laser tube r and water pump ?

Thank you very much

Regards.

28. jackantubis

Builder

Hi, nice assembly, do you have an idea of the final price ? I plan to do one :)

29. jezter6

jezter6 New
    Builder

I don't have his final price, but I'm building something similar based on this design (~1500L x 865w x 220h) and i'm sitting around $3200 for everything, including a CW-5200 chiller (instead of the radiator, that can be done for $300 less), and a DSP controller from Lightobject.

Edit: That's misumi extrusion cut by them instead of just buying 1500mm pieces and cutting myself. With XY v-rail and gantry plate/wheel kits from openbuilds. Most other stuff is amazon, with some ebay. If I used aliexpress and/or more ebay with waiting from china, I'd probably be able to lower that another few hundred. But I selected most Amazon items with free prime shipping or on Amazon via the seller that sells cheaper on ebay but I like Amazon's return policies. So my machine may cost more, but hoepfully with less junk parts.

#29 jezter6, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
    jackantubis likes this.
  30. jackantubis

Builder

Thanks for informations. DSP are really better than open source controller boards ? For this kind of machine ?