Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds CAM order of paths

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Lybrary, Aug 23, 2022.

1. Lybrary

Lybrary New
    Builder

My design is essentially a rectangular board with a grid of holes. Visualize a peg board. I created the design with Inkscape, imported the SVG file into the OpenBuilds CAM software, selected the holes, selected path (inside) and everything looked good. However, the g-code created is not in any way optimized because it appears it selects holes randomly, not by proximity. Thus there is a lot of jumping around from one area of the board to another. Is there some way to tell the software to first sort the paths in some fashion, say by y coordinate and then by x? Or perhaps have some other optimization strategy that reduces machine movements?

I have tried to use the restack feature of Inkscape to influence the order of the various paths, but it seems I can't get OpenBuilds CAM to change what it is doing.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It's fully under your control. Select first entity you want to cut, then create a toolpath, Select next entity, another toolpath and so forth

In a "select-all" (the lazy way) it follows the order of the entities in the original SVG XML

3. Lybrary

Lybrary New
    Builder

The board I am cutting has 216 holes. So you are telling me I have to manually select each one and specify what should be done? That makes no sense. This is a small version of what I want to do. I will have in the end potentially a thousand holes. Wouldn't it make sense to offer an ordering or optimization feature to avoid having to repeat hundreds of identical steps?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Some options:

1) Select smaller groups (a row for example) together to still minimise travel. The legwork is once off - save the workspace - have it ready any time you have to make it again.
    2) Use a more advanced CAM - as your projects become more advanced, it makes sense to upgrade your workflows as well
    3) Post Process your gcode (at own risk, for example GCODE Optimizer )

5. Lybrary

Lybrary New
    Builder

Thank you for the tip with the gcode optimizer. It seems to do a great job, even better optimized than I was hoping for. I haven't cut it yet, so don't know if it introduces problems. A simple G0 sorting feature would be great to have in OpenBuilds CAM but based on the pushback received so far I am not holding my breath.

Is the OpenBuilds CAM software open source? Could the community help? I wouldn't mind coding some of the features I am suggesting.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Checkout the FORK button on the settings tab :) and yes, nicely done pull requests are accepted and appreciated.

7. Lybrary

Lybrary New
    Builder

Thanks. JavaScript isn't my forte but I will take a look. It certainly opens a new option for me to get what I am asking for.