Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Openbuilds C-beam

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by uwsdandt, Mar 1, 2017.

1. uwsdandt

uwsdandt New
    Builder

uwsdandt published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

All the best with your Build. Have Fun! :thumbsup:

3. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Looking forward to following this along, as this the first one of our C-Beam machine full kit we have been working on. It comprises of the Openbuilds C-Beam Mechanical kit + our OX Full kit parts + some extra specific parts and re-written electronics manual :)

MaryD likes this.
  4. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Thanks for the update. If you need some new shims let me know.

5. uwsdandt

uwsdandt New
    Builder

Hi Ryan,

Only just found this thread - had to check the build to see what I'd written!

We found the original missing shims but then another group lost one of theirs for the z-axis! I'm not sure if they have actually put two in the middle of the bearings, I don't think they have as they all look about the same height but the shims are not exactly big, especially as this one is one for a mini roller for the x-axis. I have found a normal washer that is slightly thin for the minute but would it be possible for you to send a replacement, I have plenty for the normal size rollers as I plan to rebuild our original 3D printer with them.

The girls fitted the build plates to the c-beams this lunchtime, the y and z teams are fighting over the same piece of beam which is quite entertaining! Hopefully they will start fitting the lead screws tomorrow.

Thanks for all the encouragement.

Andy

6. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi Andy,

Yup will get them sent out tomorrow!

Ryan

7. uwsdandt

uwsdandt New
    Builder

Hi Ryan,
    The replacement shims came today, thank you. The girls had the roller off and the shim changed before I knew it - just like an F1 team! They are gaining such confidence, they had readjusted the eccentrics and had the carriage running smoothly. They follow the video religiously, I have just been explaining engineering principles like backlash.
    Thanks again,
    Andy

#7 uwsdandt, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Ryan Lock likes this.
  8. TrishC

TrishC OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Wonderful Build experience to follow along with. Now the fun projects can begin.
    Very well done girls! We are excited to see what you make on your C-Beam Machine. :thumbsup:
    Mark

9. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Great to see you got the machine working :) Can't wait to see what you make with it!

10. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

If you would, please post photos and details of the enclosure you have created. This might be greatly helpful to the Openbuilds community. Some photos of the students' work would also be nice (if allowed).

Thank you.

11. Flash22

Flash22 Well-Known
    Builder

Its good to see youngsters today having hands on practical experience what is a dying art these days - openbuilds is like a Mechano set, it comes with instructions with the odd mistake what you need to use your skills to solve

I use to be a IT technician and my father use to be a D&T (CDT) technician in a technical grammar school, most kids don't know one end of a soldering iron from the other these days

12. JWhitten

JWhitten Well-Known
    Builder

Well done, nice build happening there! Don't sweat your "mistakes"-- believe me, I've made plenty and I have a bucket-load more of them still to make-- you generally learn more from your "mistakes" and "failures" than you do from your successes-- of course, you still want "success" too. ;-) You all look like you're doing a fine job. Keep up the good work!

13. uwsdandt

uwsdandt New
    Builder

Thanks for the feedback we really appreciate it. I will post details of the enclosure as soon as I have time - we built the machine to help us to be successful in the F1 in Schools competition and I have some more testing to do in terms of setting up the origin for the foam blocks. We have to be really accurate in order to have a chance to win but not be disqualified! I'll also post pictures of the cars as they develop.

Ryan Lock likes this.
  14. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Nice work on the enclosure. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the update.

15. Michalis Strouthos

Builder

Really nice build!

Is this a standard C-beam kit or are there changes made? I noticed that the C-beam machine only has 1" of working area on Z. Was the axis raised or something else done to make more room for the jig and be able to machine the F1 blocks?

16. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hey,

I think the towers were extended to get the extra Z Height on the machine.

Best Regards

Ryan Lock

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.