Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Openbuilds Blackbox X32 initial setup issues

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by GS76, Jan 2, 2023.

1. GS76

GS76 Well-Known
    Builder

I recently purchased the Openbuilds Blackbox X32 after previously using the original Blackbox.

I have simply replaced the plugs from one controller to the next.

I have not changed any GRBL settings, but once powered up the stepper motors just make a clicking noise.

I presume I need to make adjustments to the settings and/or should I recheck the wiring?

Thank you.

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

you need to make a backup of the settings from the old controller and then input them into the new controller.
    1. unplug the new one from usb
    2. plug just the usb into the old one.
    3. use CONTROL to backup the settings
    4. open the settings file in notepad
    5. plug the usb cable back into the new box
    6. in CONTROL, check each GRBL setting against the ones in the backup and adjust as needed, especially steps per mm, max rate and acceleration, and homing settings
    7. make sure $4=0 in the X32
    8. make sure the current controls are set to midrange (on the side of the X32).
    9. note that the X32 has a lot more settings, do not change any of the new ones at this time.
    a possible 5.5 item is to load one of the machine profiles into the X32 before comparing your old settings. That will ensure that all the basics are set for your machine (if it is one of the profiles of course), you will still need to set the correct steps per mm etc numbers since those are specific to your machine.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Even better, in CONTROL > backup the settings from old controller using CONTROL > Grbl Settings tab > Backup settings button.
    Then plug in the X32, connect, go to Grbl Settings tab > Restore Backup button > grab the old backup.

While loading the Backup to restore it, CONTROL "fixes" any values that needs changing

4. GS76

GS76 Well-Known
    Builder

Thank you!

I appreciate the assistance, the X32 is up and running!

Have a great New Year.