Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds Blackbox Relay

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by SeanD, Nov 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

Setting up a pen mount and solenoid to “engage” the drawing mechanism. On the OpenBuilds Blackbox I intend to use the external plug for the 24v Relay out to a step down converter into a 12v solenoid.

Is the external plug for the 24v relay able to be turned on or off with a GCode command? I think the documentation states I can do this with M3 and M4 but just want to check.

Also I can’t get hold of a 24v solenoid quickly, will stepping down the 24v to 12v have any specific issues?

Thanks in advance.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The relay output is just a "switch". Wire it into the 12v line to your solenoid.

3. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

Doesn’t it output 24V?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

No, it's a relay only (normally open, closes when it gets a signal, signal is defined here docs:blackbox:jumper-relay [OpenBuilds Documentation])
    It's actual mainly intended function is for docs:blackbox:connect-plasma [OpenBuilds Documentation] (closes the two wires that normally would be the little switch on the plasma torch that you'd press by hand)

The COOLANT ouput outputs 24v: See docs:blackbox:connect-coolant [OpenBuilds Documentation] - controllable with M8/M9

For Pen Plotter, why not use a Servo instead of solenoid though: docs:blackbox:connect-rc-servo [OpenBuilds Documentation] - you'll find more CAM support for M3 Sxxx where xxx = pen position

5. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

Oh sorry I see now. If I hook my 24V power supply in line with it it would switch that power.

I already have my coolant port turning on and off my vacuum shoe, air pump and coolant solenoid value with M8/M9.

I only wanted to use a solenoid or a linear actuator because I want to have the pen off to the side of my router spindle to make bebe lines and figured all I have available is a 24V output from the relay on the Blackbox.

Sounds like unless I replace the spindle functionality I only have an on/off relay to deploy the pen.

Sorry for scrappy drawing, I just drew it up in like 2 minutes.

Attached Files:

6. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

upload_2020-11-6_18-9-10.jpeg
    I think this is the one I have. I don’t think I have ever seen that other one for sale here in Australia.

7. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

Out of all the photos I have on my phone this is the only one that shows that part of it and I am not sure if that’s the servo part in the corner or not.

Attached Files:

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Yeah seems to be one of the old V2.4s
    Can still wire up a servo from the PWM pin

9. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

I am not understanding that part of the documentation. It looks like I do have the 3 pins above my power for gnd, 5V and sig. Documentation looks like I can’t use the servo and my spindle at the same time though. Is it an “instead of” or an “as well as”.

I was going to use Relay port if possible so it does the draw and cut in one job.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Grbl only has one PWM output (spindle or servo) yes (so spindle, OR servo)

The M3/Spindle/PWM signal is ONE output in grbl, goes to Relay via Jumper, goes to 0-10v circuit for spindles, goes to PWM pin on TOOLHEAD, and the SIG pin of the Servo header. Grbl has one output, we provide many alternative outputs of that one signal depending on what they have to control (plasma? use relay, IoT relay- use PWM pin, Servo - use the Servo header or PWM pin, PWM controlled DC spindle, use PWM pin, Laser - use PWM pin) but at the end of the day, all of those, are from one Grbl output

11. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for your help. It obviously can't be done then as there is only one output from GRBL. I might look at what I can create with a push button that the machine moves to coordinates to engage instead then. Thanks for your time.

12. Luis_Mtz

Luis_Mtz New
    Builder

I don't speak to much english, i would like to know which code i need to use if i want to active my Relay2, i have a Blackbox X32, i bought a C-beam.

13. Peter Van Der Walt

M3 and M4. Relay 2 is Direction for the Spindle