Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds ACRO Laser System

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Mark Carew, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Alan L

Alan L New
    Builder

Yes I have a couple 3D printers and an Ikea about 10 miles away

2. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

I built an enclosure form my printer with a Lack table. I used dollar tree foam board (black) for three sides and then put an acrylic door on the front. For your system it would need to be wider so this (minus the bottom shelf) may be a good start. If you need to make it taller, someone has designed all the parts you can imagine already. Search Ikea Lack on thingiverse. You could have solid side and back walls with orange acrylic doors.

* edit-- I brain-farted and misread the Acro outer dimensions so this may be a tight fit front to back - if not impossible. My bad. I just thought it would be a quick and clean assembly.

Scotty Orr likes this.
  3. Alan L

Alan L New
    Builder

Table will be too small however Ikea does have other items that just might work. Thank you!

4. petethepig

Builder

5. the_greek

the_greek New
    Builder

Nice addition! What are you milling with this setup? I am interested in acro because I can find a kit in my country, in order to mod it like you did just to be able to mill pcbs.

6. rksmith21

rksmith21 New
    Builder

Dear Mark Carew,
    I am having the same issues has ChuckD. X axis is not jogging but does like a grinding noise with a back and forth movements. I have changed out the stepper motor and also changed out BLACK BOX to another BLACK BOX and get same results. I have taken the Arco 55 apart and reassembled it many times. Could this be a wiring issues? I will be connecting one of my BLACK BOXs to the ARCO 1010 to replace the XPRO cause it doesn't work with LIGHTBURN SOFTWARE YET. I have watch the youtube videos to assemble.
    PLEASE HELP! Thanks RogerS

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

That sounds exactly like the symptoms you'd suffer when only 3 of the 4 wires to the stepper motor have good contact. Redo/Check your wiring, any joints/extensions/connectors to make sure all 4 wires are tight and have continuity. Also make sure your wire order is correct (a coil on pins 1 and 2, and the other coil on pin 3 and 4: Use a multimeter in continuity mode to check your coil pairs, don't 100% trust the color codes

Mark Carew likes this.
  8. rksmith21

rksmith21 New
    Builder

Peter
    I would like to say thanks for the help. The issue was on the 4 pin connect that was used to plug into the Black Box for the X axis. Yellow pin wire was to far in so was touching the wire jacket. So my Arco 55 is working good. image.jpg

9. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  10. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

That one is really hard to spot! Great job on finding that! Glad you are up and running!