Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuild XYZ probe plus not work

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Bowbo974, Oct 13, 2022.

1. Bowbo974

Bowbo974 New
    Builder

Hello, I have an openbuid xyz probe, it works well with the cnc xpro v4 but I changed the card and went to a black box.

since the probe no longer works, as soon as the bit touches the probe, the green led lights up, but the bit continues to go down to the point of breaking.

anyone have a solution? thank you

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sounds like signal wire not connected between Probe and BlackBox. Recheck your wiring (cable not broken, terminals tight, no insulation pinched in terminals, wire inserted into (not under) the little cage that moves up and down inside the terminals, etc)

Rather than testing destructively - you can make use of the Troubleshooting tab in CONTROL. Touch the plate to the bit by hand (just raise it up to touch the bit lightly) while watching the troubleshooting tab. Only once you confirmed its all working, should you attempt probing. Much safer and better than breaking bits

3. Bowbo974

Bowbo974 New
    Builder

hey, thanks for the reply. I just tested the continuity of the cable and everything works. I did everything is connection test, shinter the SIG and GND the green led lights up but it is not recognized in openbuild control. there would not be an update of the black box to do? or move jumpers?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

1) Unplug one of your Endstops
    2) Plug it into the Probe port (Endstops and Probes shares the same pinout so its a straight swop)
    3) Watch the Troubleshooting tab in CONTROL, and press the other endstops by hand (make sure they light up in CONTROL as a baseline to show you what to expect next)
    4) Now press the endstop that is plugged into the Probe port - does the Probe pin indicator on the Troubleshooting tab go red?

This test is to see if there is an issue with the BlackBox, or with the Probe/Wiring by testing with something other than the probe too

5. Bowbo974

Bowbo974 New
    Builder

I don't have the switches yet, suddenly I made a bridge between sig and gnd on the switch port it works. but on the probe no I attach the photos the black box is new I received them 1 week ago

Attached Files:

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Thanks for the test. Please contact support.openbuilds.com > New Ticket for further assistance. Please include a link to this thread as it shows the Troubleshooting already completed. They will sort you out

7. Bowbo974

Bowbo974 New
    Builder

it's done thank you very much. hoping to find a solution

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  8. Bowbo974

Bowbo974 New
    Builder

I should receive an email confirming the creation of the ticket? because I haven't said anything

9. Vernon Fowler

Builder

My probe i
    s doing a similar

10. Vernon Fowler

Builder

My probe is acting in a similar way. I went to trouble shooting and verified that when I touched the probe to the bit with the magnet on the bit it says triggered, but when I center the bit over the hole, it goes to the center of the probe but does not stop after touching the plate. It just drives the bit into the probe. I've double checked the cables/connections. The lights stay active on the probe all of the time. I have just replaced the Blackbox 4 with the Blackbox X32 and rebuilt the hardware. The limit switches and everything else seems to be working fine. Is there a GRBL setting that could be set wrong?

11. Peter Van Der Walt

• Did you work through the Blackbox Docs? (didn't maybe skip section 7.1)?

• Did you transfer your old working Grbl Settings (Backup and Restore from CONTROL so it applies needed changes?)

That looks like a gnd/earth short, but then the Troubleshooting tab would show Triggered all the time too.

• Why did you replace the BlackBox? Did the old one become damaged, and if so was the source of damage found and addressed?
    • Only replaced BlackBox or is the probe new too?
    • Was it working fine with the old BlackBox?

12. Vernon Fowler

Builder

After using my original Workbee, 1500x1500, I decided to downsize to give more room in my shop. I also decided to rebuild the frame heavier with less flex on the z and x axis at 1500x1000. Thicker plates and more supports for the spoilboard and y axis. Since I was doing these updates I bought new high torque steppers and the X32 Blackbox. I've had some health problems and just started rebuilding the machine after it's been idle for about a year and a half. I'm retired and the CNC is a hobby.
    I've always had intermittent problems with the probe, even on the old black box. As far as the docs 7.1, I'm running V 1.0.370.
    Thanks

13. Peter Van Der Walt

Those are somewhat seperate questions. Glad you are on V1.0.370, but did you perform the firmware update as advised in Section 7.1 docs:blackbox-x32:firmware [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    If you don't recall doing that, please do
    - Make sure to click the X32 tab (even though its already selected - bug soon to be fixed)
    - Make sure to use the update option that does not erase settings - unless you have a backup. Its not needed for this update.

1) Redo the wiring: docs:xyzprobe:start [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    2) Make sure your bits are clean and uncoated (or coated with conductive coatings) - can test with the Troubleshooting tab
    3) Make sure you clip the magnet to the collet as shown in the onscreen wizard in CONTROL

14. Vernon Fowler

Builder

I did all of the things you noted. I did not check it after each fix so I don't know which task fixed it. I did, to test it, use a 1/4 inch rod the exact size of a router bit and left it loose enough to slip if it did not stop after touching the probe. Everything is fine with it now. Thank you for your help.
    Vernon