Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Open Builds Control and using Vetric VCarve Pro

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by KaosCNC, Jan 3, 2020.

1. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

So I have been using Black Box Controller with the OB Control software and I love it.

I've had a few hiccups here and there but all in all **** nice software.

I've been using all Amana tools and Vectric Vcarve Pro software - I am using the Maktia RT701C router.

I am confused about using the MM vs Inch mode.

I have been making sure all of my gcode is based upon MM but the exception is the Amana tools are in Inches so I am not sure if that is causing an issue or not.

Should I be just be using Inch mode and inches in the VCarve pro or what I have been doing is correct?

My stuff is turning out but recently I am having issues with cutting some ABS plastics and I am not sure if the issue is with the tool being set in Inches vs MM or something else.

The size of the part is correct but the cutting is not going so well given its plastic.

I am using the Amana Tool 51511-K Spiral O Single Flute 1/8" and have backed my router speed down to 3 and the chips are still melting. They crumble when you take the part out and the other issue is that the DOC seems off - Maybe not and I am not thinking it through correctly.

If the file is set in MM and gcode is exported and then ran in OB Control under MM does the Inch details of the specific tool get converted to MM?

Sorry for the rant.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Vectric grbl (mm or inch) post processors correctly convert units. You can design in inches and post process in mm and the units will be correctly converted (or vice versa. They will also put the correct g-code in the header of your g-code file (G20 =inches, G21 =mm) so grbl "knows" what units the g-code file is in.
    Alex.

3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Re cutting plastic you need to experiment with speeds and feeds. I use setting 1 (10 K rpm) on my (Chinese clone) Makita and a fairly high feed rate. High speed/low feed means that the bit will be rubbing against the plastic and generating heat. As with any other material you are aiming to cut chips. Use cooling (fan) if you can.
    Alex.