Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Ooznest ox with LinuxCNC

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Pops, May 18, 2016.

1. Pops

Pops New
    Builder

Hi All

I have my ooznest ox built. The instructions were fantastic and I had less trouble building it than I did a gas Bbq. I'm very impressed.

Ox build it 1m x 1.5m. Nema 23s.

To that I have added a gecko g540 and an old PC with Linux cnc installed. Getting it to communicate with the machine was easier than I expected in that by following the instructions with the g540 and taking default values and a little common sense when setting up linuxcnc it just worked.

My questions are now down to tuning things. What experience have people had with this setup? Specifically, does anyone have suggestions for optimal settings for max speed and acceleration for the three axes?

I have a little way to go before I cut anything but progress so far has been reasonably straight forward and I hope continues this way.

Thanks to you all.

Ivan

2. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi,

I haven't got a setup for linuxcnc, but i have attached my GRBL Settings if they are of any help.

Ryan

Attached Files:

3. Pops

Pops New
    Builder

Ryan,

Thanks, that's perfect. I suspect max rate and acceleration are not Linux cnc specific anyway.

4. ChadRat6458

Builder

How are things going? I am in the same boat. I am trying to tune my linuxcnc setup. I can cut but I am missing steps big time.

5. Pops

Pops New
    Builder

Hi. It's going very well. I have some fine tuning for each of the axes but no missed steps. I suspect missed steps are more to do with your driver board. I have not really pushed the machine yet but the cuts I have made seem to be regular and repeatable. What driver board setup did you use? I'm very happy with the gecko driver it's pricey but good.

6. ChadRat6458

Builder

7. Pops

Pops New
    Builder

8. ChadRat6458

Builder

I checked my wires going to the x axis motor with a multimeter. They checked out fine. I put them back in and it is working a lot better. I guess I had one wire not making a good connection. They were all tight. I would still like to see your files so I can compare them to mine. Thanks.

9. Pops

Pops New
    Builder

Thats great you have it working. I could not get stepconf to do the right thing with my limit switches so I had to tweak the files for that. Other than that they come straight from stepconf.

10. ChadRat6458

Builder

I had a loose x axis pulley. I want to change my x axis to a lead screw set up. Excuse for a bigger machine? I really like how linuxCNC works. The drivers are working great.