Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Online manual for control SW ?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by ahinoki, Nov 15, 2019.

1. ahinoki

ahinoki New
    Builder

Can anyone point me to an online manual or tutorial
    for the control software ?

Thanks

Kevin

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

No manual at this time. Its pretty self explanatory though you really dont need one for CONTROL
    You DO need one for Grbl though, read ALL of github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki (use the menu on the right, real all the pages, its a goldmine of information)

#2 Peter Van Der Walt, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    David the swarfer likes this.
  3. ahinoki

ahinoki New
    Builder

Could you explain the function/difference between
    the feed and tool sliders on the right side of the
    control sw user interface ?

I assumed that one of them increased/decreased the speed of
    the cut ? However neither of them appear to have any effect ?

Thanks

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Feed slider changes the feedrate (how fast machine moves).
    Tool slider changes the S-value = used by PWM output for spindle speed or laser power
    These are also from the Grbl Wiki: See gnea/grbl for more detailed descriptions. The slider just sends the commands for you

If you dont see a response from the Feed slider, it may be
    a) you have a Feedrate (F-word in your Gcode) specified higher than Maximum Rate gnea/grbl (Grbl will limit motion to the configured maximum, if the overrides go beyond that)
    b) Your gcode is not using G1 words, G0 speed is not altered by the feed slider

Spend some bedtime reading on the Grbl Wiki, you'll be able to relate back to the software easily once you are more familiar with Grbl

CONTROL is just a "dumb" interface on top: Sends commands to it and when Grbl sends back an error or a message, we display it.

5. ahinoki

ahinoki New
    Builder

Peter,

I will follow your advice.

Thanks

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. AllanArt

AllanArt New
    Builder

“No manually at this time. It”s pretty self explanatory....” I beg to differ. I just purchased ACRO 1010 to make a specialty pen plotter. I plan to design a 3D print head but undecided whether to lift the pen with a servo or solenoid. I see most users choose a servo but there is a case to be made for solenoid in my app. Am I left to guess what and how the I/Os work on the black box interface, and the associated workflow of the software, on how to accomplish this without a single written explanation of the software interface? For example, is there a on/off pulse to be had I can use to latch the solenoid via a driver I can design myself. Or alternatively will I have to convert whatever PWM servo signal provided in to an on/off state. I can do this too, but for openers I need to know something about the PWM pulse width. I can’t just look at the interface and guess my way thru it as to what triggers what etc. so far I’m forced to try to figure out the interface from outdated YouTube’s - made for PC users, making matters even more difficult to follow as I’m a Mac user. Surely there must be some kind of documentation somewhere? Maybe something similar to the posted doc on the blackbox hardware. Some written explanation that at least explains the link between the software and the blackbox I/Os, and how to access and implement a function.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Not at all, have a read through docs.openbuilds.com (which details the Servo method for good reason as Grbl's tool control is PWM based)
    and for anything non standard, of course we offer the forum where you are more than welcome to discuss your non standard use case *(no manual can guess every non standard use case an write a section for it now can it?) or checkout github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki for more info on how Grbl works
    If you want to understand GCODE better, also checkout LinuxCNC "G-Code" Quick Reference

Please open a new thread and explain exactly what you want to do, datasheets of any solenoids and drawing/pictures and our team of engineers will be right over there to assist you with wiring, commands, and any other info :)

8. AllanArt

AllanArt New
    Builder

OK. I'll open a new thread relevant to my special pen plotter app - but before I do - relative to your reply I'll respond here.

Yes - docs.Openbuilds.com is a manual that explains the workings of the BlackBox hardware, including reference to servo operation from a hardware point of view that is helpful. I've read it end-to-end.

What is not in that doc is any info whatsoever on the Control or Cam software. The little I've learned so far about using the software interface tools is what I have picked up by fumbling around trial-and-error-fashion in the interface and scrounging around on old Youtube videos that mostly focus on CNC and laser apps.

Little to nothing on pen plotters. So far I have not found a single written word on either software. (Pls point me in the right direction if I am wrong.) As a result I've wasted hours just trying to guess my way thru the workflow.

I've got a working acro 1010 - sans pen holder which I will 3D print design - so for now I set a simple goal of drawing a box to watch the 1010 go thru the motions of a simulated pen plot. To that end I created a simple 100 x 100mm and a 200 x 200mm rectangle in Cam which I transferred to Control.

For each case the rect opens in Control as a boundary box in either a 100 x 100 grid or a 200 x 200 grid respectively. Without a manual I have no idea what that grid image is trying to tell me.

Nonetheless I move and set a new zero mark in Control at 12" X and Y from the front left home corner. Before I attempt to run this simulated plot I try the "check size" mode expecting it will move the head in a boundary square from my new set reference point. Instead it send the head in the X direction until it hits the X-limit switch and the whole thing comes to a stop with an error message. I haven't a clue why.

I tried a handful of images I downloaded within CAM - "Hell" World", one of a dog outline offered in your clip art, etc. All of these produce the same result in Control. The X head runs off to the left and trips the X-limit switch in every case. Maybe if I had a manual that explained the relationship between a new set zero point and the 1010's "home" position, relative to the overall working space of the 1010, and what the changing size of the grid is trying to tell me, I might be able to figure out what I need to do to resolve the issue.

But there is no manual to search for an answer. Instead I have to fumble around trying to guess my way thru the interface and workflow. I expect I will have to rummage thru Youtube videos trying to glean whatever I can to cobble together the answer to the problem. I could give you at least a dozen more examples of issues like I have encountered with Control and CAM so far.

That's what a written manual (a good one) is there for. The thought of having to camp out or lean on a forum or Youtube videos to figure out the interface and workflow is not right. To your credit, you have popup boxes with the interface that is helpful, but they are not everywhere and they don't really address workflow questions that well.

My app is to take vector line art from Adobe Illustrator and/or Inkscape and convert it in to a pen plot - but with a special technique particular to my unique artwork and the special materials I use. It requires I make a special pen plotter head via 3D printing - which I think I know how to do.

Down the road I hope to add an registration mark sensor to this plotter. The equivalent of the sensors you find on print and cut vinyl cutters. (BTW I own a commercial vinyl cutter that can do this amazingly well) I have a lofty goal but so far it does not give me a lot of confidence achieving it if I can't even plot a simple simulated rectangle without having to jump thru hoops to figure out your interface.

#8 AllanArt, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2019
  9. Peter Van Der Walt

That is exactly what the Check Size button is supposed to do :) --- your's doesnt so its probably configured incorrectly:

Still sounds like you have your directions wrong: gnea/grbl

Watch

for the standard Acro setup, once that works, modify it later

The grid scales itself to the shape of the job. The numbers and mm/inch on the screen is kinda obvious clues that its showing the size of the job. Wherever 0,0,0 is onscreen is where that job's origin is

HOME = machine coordinates
    G54(or G54-G59.1 when you get more advanced)/WPOS/WORK COORDINATES/PRETTY MUCH EVERTHING ELSE = set as an offset from home with the setzero marks; Read gnea/grbl : to understand that home is just to set all the offsets, everything happens in WORK COORDINATES as that tells it where the stock is
    For a beginner just disable homing its not worth wrapping your head around at first, rather get in the habit of setting zero for now, then when you start doing mass production, multi-day jobs, or repeting jigged jobs in multiple coordinate systems, then Home becomes useful.

PS: RE plan for registration marks: You are heading toward custom developed software to do that - Grbl / our ecosystem has not plans or support for optical registration marks.

Laser, tool, CNC router, whatever the tool, the workflow is just about the same: How to wire/use the toolhead of course differs but in software terms its pretty much the same thing for any tool:

CAD (Draw the shapes) -> CAM (CAM software generally just does an offset around the shape to compensate for the radius of any tool and adds Z moves) -> Process to GCODE -> GCODE into Host (again you are not forced to use CONTROL either if you don't like it) -> Setup CNC machine by jogging, setting zero, etc -> Run job
    That workflow is nicely summerised here:

#9 Peter Van Der Walt, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  10. Ron Marshall

Builder

I know this is an old thread but I have a similar question as the original post. I tried the sliders and nothing happened. By reading your response, I checked my maximum feedrate on my bit and saw it is set at 2540 mm/min. I checked my GRBL settings ($110-112?) are set at max speed rate 2500 mm/min.
    My question is, which would be the better idea to lower my GCode feedrate for the bit or increase my GRBL settings to be able to use the Speed slider? Sometimes as the carve progresses and seeing it's going good but a little slow, I'd like to be able to speed things up a little. I'm thinking it would be better to increase the GRBL settings. I have a 1510 threaded rod WorkBee.

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Best to tweak your Grbl Max Rate to what the machine is actually capable of :)
    Better to have it run at full potential right: See gnea/grbl

12. Peter Van Der Walt